Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does reseting the Windows 8.1 partition affect my Ubuntu partition?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 foxtrotniner224

foxtrotniner224

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

Help!

My Windows 8.1 crashed after I tried playing an offline copy of Half-Life 2 on Steam. Now my windows won't even load, or if it does, it won't do anything. I am currently not even able to boot it into safe mode from the login screen. I'm at my wit's end.

Here's the deal. I actually backed up all my data on my Windows partition on an external hard drive. My question is, if I press the little "Reset" button on the side of my conputer, will it affect my Ubuntu partition? My computer is a Lenovo Ideapad P500 Touch model.

Thanks for all the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:19 PM

Hi fox :)

Resetting your Windows 8 will affect your Ubuntu partition. Since it was probably not part of the original configuration the manufacturer of your laptop created for that laptop, it will most likely deleted and Windows 8.1 will be reinstalled on it. Resetting a computer under Windows 8.1 pretty much delete everything on it, re-format the hard drive correctly and reinstall Windows using the manufacturer system image on the DVD or partition included with the laptop/computer. If you want to read more about the Reset process, you can read the HowToGeek article below:

http://www.howtogeek.com/132428/everything-you-need-to-know-about-refreshing-and-resetting-your-windows-8-pc/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:21 PM

Resetting your Windows 8 will affect your Ubuntu partition. Since it was probably not part of the original configuration the manufacturer of your laptop created for that laptop,

Yes it may, Resetting windows may wipe your Ubuntu

Edited by NickAu, 05 April 2015 - 06:22 PM.

#4 foxtrotniner224

foxtrotniner224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:43 PM

So, is there any way to refresh my Windows without affecting my Ubuntu? I can only get into the login screen in my Windows, but not any farther.

Thanks!

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

What happens when you try to log in your account?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:11 PM

Might I suggest you at least back up your home folder in Ubuntu just in case.

#7 foxtrotniner224

foxtrotniner224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:27 AM

What happens when you try to log in your account?

When I try to login to my account, it tries to load, but then I just get a blank screen. Same thing happens when I hold shift and click the "Restart" button to try to get to the boot options.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:25 AM

Do you have a cursor on that blank screen, or just a blank screen? Also, did you give it a 10-15 minutes to see if it would load fully?

unite_blue.png

#9 foxtrotniner224

foxtrotniner224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2015 - 09:44 PM

I did give it time to load fully, and it finally did load. The desktop loads, but I can't do anything. Rather, I can't load any applications, I can move my mouse, if I try and click on any applications, the desktop will freeze up. I can still move my mouse and see my cursor, though the cursor transforms into the blue loading circle. Eventually, the desktop background will go white and the applications bar at the bottom of the desktop disappears, though the icons on the desktop are still present. If I wait still longer, sometimes, the screen will go black and the cursor will still be present. The other day I logged in and managed to start an iTunes update, although when I clicked on an application, it froze in the manner described above.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 27 April 2015 - 05:23 AM

Are you able to let it start, then configure it so it can restart in Safe Mode with Networking? You should be able to work from that mode there. Instructions on how to boot in Safe Mode with Networking under Windows 8 can be found in the link below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/#windows8

unite_blue.png

#11 foxtrotniner224

foxtrotniner224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:31 PM

I was able to start it (finally) in safe mode. I tried having Windows repair itself, which it then restarted, displayed a black background with the Lenovo logo and a message which read "Scanning and repairing C:" It got to about 50% progress displayed, then restarted itself. At restart, had the same black background and Lenovo logo with a message displayed something like "Fixing errors on C:. This may take over an hour." I left it running overnight, since from what I had seen, it was taking more than 2 hours. When I looked at it in the morning, it had restarted itself, but due to GNU grub it booted into my Ubuntu. When I restarted that and went into my Windows partition, it tried to repeat the process described above. How do I know if it is my Windows partition that is corrupted, and how can I fix it if that's the case?

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:48 PM

Right now, are you able to boot into the Recovery PE using an installation media? Or using the F8 method?

unite_blue.png

#13 TechWiz365

TechWiz365

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:51 PM

I was able to start it (finally) in safe mode. I tried having Windows repair itself, which it then restarted, displayed a black background with the Lenovo logo and a message which read "Scanning and repairing C:" It got to about 50% progress displayed, then restarted itself. At restart, had the same black background and Lenovo logo with a message displayed something like "Fixing errors on C:. This may take over an hour." I left it running overnight, since from what I had seen, it was taking more than 2 hours. When I looked at it in the morning, it had restarted itself, but due to GNU grub it booted into my Ubuntu. When I restarted that and went into my Windows partition, it tried to repeat the process described above. How do I know if it is my Windows partition that is corrupted, and how can I fix it if that's the case?

IF your Ubuntu is working, you should look into using Ubuntu to troubleshoot your Windows partition and find out what's wrong.

Edited by TechWiz365, 01 May 2015 - 01:51 PM.

#14 foxtrotniner224

foxtrotniner224
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:02 PM

Right now, are you able to boot into the Recovery PE using an installation media? Or using the F8 method?

Um, I'm not really sure. I didn't use F8, so I'm guessing it's an installation media, if by that you mean something that came with Windows 8.

#15 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,594 posts
  •  

Posted 01 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

Yes, I mean the media (USB, CD or DVD) used to install Windows 8 or repair it. Often referred as a "Repair Disk", "Recovery Disk" or "Installation Disk".

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users