Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Revived invalid dynamic Disk, now 3 partitions gone

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy Wylie

Tommy Wylie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

I used HxD (a disc hex editor) to revive an invalid Dynamic 1TB hard drive with four partitions. As far as I am aware, I followed the instructions precisely. I changed the "42" in line 1C0 to "07" as per the instructions, and it has made the disc show up in Disc administrator (Windows 7) with the correct total capacity of 931GB, but only one partition shows up (here with the letter D).

Confusingly, in Disc administrator it gives the partition size as 931GB, but using SpaceMonger to map the drive graphically it gives the correct partition size as 45.8GB. The Hex editor has revived the physical disk but it has made three very large partitions disappear. I know the data must still be on the disc, but how can I recover the partitions... or failing that, how do I recover the data that Windows is failing to read?

Attached File  Partition missize.jpg   90.32KB   0 downloads

Edited by hamluis, 05 April 2015 - 03:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

You changed a Dynamic Disk to a Basic disk, correct? I would have advised using software like Partition Wizard (paid version) to do that but it can only do this to a simple volume Dynamic disk, not a spanned disk. I think at this point you should try finding the partitions using Testdisk for Windows. Download  version 6.14 and unzip to your desktop (I believe v7 is still beta). Do a Quick Search to see if it can find your other partitions. If it finds the partition. If it finds a partition, highlight it and press the upper case "P" key. It should list the files in the partition. You can select individual files/directories by using the ":" key and the upper case "C" key to perform the copy. You can use the lower case "a" key to select all files on the partition. The files will be copied to the folder you unzipped Testdisk to.

Here is a step by step of Testdisk.

#3 Tommy Wylie

Tommy Wylie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:25 PM

OK John, thanks for replying, and much more quickly than I expected!

I have done a bit of hunting with Google and found a program called "Partition Find And Mount". I have it running now and it seems to have found the lost partitions. However I'm going to need another 1TB hard drive to copy it all to! Assuming that it can actually access the "found" missing partitions...

I'll try Testdisk 6.14 tomorrow if Partition Find And Mount doesn't deliver the goods.

Thanks again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,625 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

Yes, Find and Mount is a good piece of software. That will mount the found partition(s) as a virtual drive. Another 1TB drive sounds right unless you have a fast connection and unlimited cloud storage. If you get your data back with Partition Find and Mount or Testdisk, you can try writing a new partition table in Testdisk. Check the step by step on that.

Also you may have luck with the free Easeus Partition Recovery Software. That will scan the drive for partitions and recover them but data recovery should be the priority because writing partition tables always has a chance of going bad.

http://www.easeus.com/resource/partition-recovery.htm

http://www.easeus.com/datarecoverywizard/partition-recovery-flash.htm

Edited by JohnC_21, 05 April 2015 - 04:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users