Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greenish-blue fluid from the audio-out/headphone jack

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nopo

nopo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

There is a Greenish-blue fluid coming from the audio-out/headphone jack on my laptop.

I have just begun to notice this in the last few days. However it may have been happening for some time now without my noticing it.

At first I thought it might be coming from the male connector on the headphones, but I wiped the connector clean with a napkin and placed it in the jack again to see that there is more residue or fluid still adhering to the headhones male connector after removing from it from the computer's female connector.

It is not "leaking out" perse, but it is adhering to the connector when I reconnect the two.

See the photo of what the fluid looks like.

It is wet, not necessarily thick and it is more viscous than pen ink but less than water....if that helps.

What Is this fluid, where is it coming from (beyond the jack internally) and how do I fix the problem?

My system info:

- HP Pavilion dv7t-4100 CTO laptop

- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SrvPk-1

- I am assuming browser version, plugins/toolbars and such are irrelevant

I will attempt to determine any internal board components or additonal info if needed.

See attached images for reference (My apoligies for the poor quality)

Please help.

Thank you.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

Looks to me a little like that build up that gets on copper pennies, but why is it so liquidly I really do not know.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:23 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Laptops do not normally leak !

Has there been anything spilt on this computer reasonably recently or are you using it in an environment where condensation could be a factor ?  I agree with Rocky that you do get verdisgris forming on copper but normally only on external surfaces such as copper clad roofs - that's what gives them that lovely green colour. But even if it is verdisgris it shouldn't be wet.

There is one other possibility that occurs. This is, I think, a reasonably old computer and it is posssible that a capacitor has failed and is leaking. Are you having any other problems with it such as stability ?

Chris Cosgrove

#4 nopo

nopo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:44 PM

OK Thanks for the replies.

I have not spilled anything on the computer (liquid wise).

Yeah, kinda oldish - I bought this in 2009 I think or maybe 2010. It is all a little fuzzy now.

Failed capacitor sounds like some possibility. So I am guessing they leak this fluid?

I haven't noticed any stability issues.

Any other thoughts?

I guess I need to start thinking about searching for a tech by the way that sounds.

I am software literate and somewhat hardware literate, but not when it comes to the

nitty gritty and mother-b components.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:56 PM

Electrolytic capacitors are formed from a tightly wound spiral of, essentially, paper and are moistened with a liquid. They are not filled with a liquid in the same way a bottle of tomao ketchup is. Electrolytics are used in filter circuits of all sorts and you will find a number inside a laptop but they are not physically big components so cannot contaiin much liquid at all.

I admit I am grasping at straws here to explain the presence of this liquid. The only other area I can think of as a possibility is the CMOS battery, but if that had failed to the extent that it was leaking you would have major problems with the date/time on the laptop.

Despite your denials, spillage or environmental factors remain the most likely causes. I am happy to accept that you have not spilt anything on it, but could anybody else ?  Condensation also remains a possibility. If it is used in a relatively humid and warm environment and then taken into a cooler one condensation can form.

At the end of the day, is the computer working OK ?  With the exception of the headphone connector coming out with green goo on it ?  Then I wouldn't worry too much about it, except, on general principles, I would make sure any data on this computer was thoroughly backed up.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users