Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how much ram can windows need?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 coralys

coralys

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:09 PM

Hi everyone,

Have a question that has been puzzling me. I have a small machine with 2GB ram. I have had some problems with windows and  a general feeling that at times the machine cannot cope with the smallest task. I looked at the task administrator and it shows that with only windows running I am using 40% of the ram, if I open 1 document with word it goes to70%.

Is that normal? Can I be using that much?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:22 PM

IMO...yes it can.

It's generally recommended to run Win 7 (any version) with 4GB RAM.  That's not what Microsoft says, but it's (I believe) the general consensus that users have agreed upon.  Win 7 32-bit will recognize a maximum of 4GB RAM, while other versions will recognize/use anything above 4GB efficiently.

See Chart posted in Answers .

One thing that many people ignore...the biggest users of RAM are often your AV program or internet security suite...and your browser.  For every add-on used by a browser, more RAM is used.  For every browser window open at the same time...more RAM is used.

For every piece of malware on a system, more RAM is used, probably not in a manner that benefits the system user.  This one of the reasons why a system often appears to slow down, chances are that adware (at the best) or more malicious malware (worst case) is at work, using system resources that may have previously been adequate for user usage.

Microsoft Word, or any "suite" of any kind...will probably be a memory hog on a system.  The nature of a "suite" is that several applications are bundled together...theoretically, as a more efficient way of doing things.  In actuality (IMO), users install 5 programs when they only use 1 or 2...and that's not even taking into accounty the useless, unnecessary "toolbars" that have become so ubiquitous and are soooo unnecessary.

Another type of not only useless, but possibly detrimental software that wastes system resources..."optimizers/registry cleaners."  I'm not sure why anyone installs these yet you can reports listing such here every day.

Sooo...you can see that 2GB of RAM really isn't going to go very far if one has any number of the above listed situations :).  It's hard for Windows to be at its best...under trying circumstances.

Louis

#3 coralys

coralys
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:23 PM

Thank you for your very quick and concise answer. It is true that I used to have XP on this machine. I'm going to see whether I can add memory to it. 

Thank you.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

:thumbup2: , happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users