Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retrieving Data from External HD

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

I have two WD My Book Esstential external HDs and neither fire up when I hook them up.  They are both a few years old but one was hardly used.  I tried using different cables and power supplies.  Nothing.

IF the hard drive itself is not damaged, is there a way to extract the data on those disks?  And if so, how? 

I haven't dismantled them but if I gained access to the actual HDs, can I tap into them and copy the contents?  I have a device (which I never used) for accessing 2.5" and 3.5" hard drives, a USB to SATA and IDE adaptor.  Would this work?  I found a video on YouTube that demonstrates how to get to the hard drive.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

Have you tried this?

http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:28 PM

Not yet.  Thanks.

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:12 PM

Have you tried connecting the drives to another computer? Placing the drive[s] in a freezer is not likely to work. Dubious at best. Let's call that an old wives tale.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

Really. I have heard so many of my personal friends that have tried it. But honestly, I have never tried it.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:05 PM

I've a couple friends that tried it. So have I once or twice in the past. I have yet to talk with anyone who met with any degree of success. I'm not saying that one should not try it, but only as a last resort. Just don't expect any miracles. I suggest he first hook to another computer. If the drives can be read,  then his computer is suspect.  

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#7 LittleGreenDots

LittleGreenDots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 444 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:57 AM

I've watched a few videos on attaching the drive to another computer and I'm going to give it a try.  I'm wondering...if the drive itself is bad, are there still affordable ways to get the data?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:23 AM

The best way to proceed would be the remove the enclosure of these external hard drives, and then plug them as internal hard drives in your computer (or another). From there, you should be able to access them. If they aren't detected in the BIOS or in Windows, then they are most likely dead. You cannot do anything to recover data on the hard drives if you can't access them. There's companies that specializes in data forensics, recover data from storage medias, no matter their condition but it's really expansive. One of these companies is DriveSavers if you want to look them up. If you can at least access the drives from your OS, you could try free data recovery software such as:
  • Recuva by Piriform;
  • EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard by EaseUS;
  • GetDataBackNTFS;
However none of them guarantee that they'll recover any data and since they are free, they have a recovery limit (between 1 and 10GB of data).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:23 AM

The problem with the WD mybook drives is the USB bridge card is proprietary and encrypts the data to the drive. You can disassemble the case and try attaching the drive to another computer either internally or using a USB adapter. Hopefully the data is not encrypted but I am pretty sure it will be.

http://carltonbale.com/western-digital-mybook-drive-lock-encryption-failure-and-recovery/

http://community.wd.com/t5/External-Drives-for-PC/My-Book-encrypted-files/td-p/457534

http://www.zdnet.com/article/the-self-encrypting-drive-you-may-already-own/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users