Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Heating Laptop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 N3koAsylum

N3koAsylum

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:48 AM

Well to start things off; my laptop is a:
HP Envy Dv6 Notebook PC
AMD A10-4600M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics 2.30GHz (Quad-Core) (4 CPUs)
AMD Radeon HD 7660G
8GB Ram

When I first bought this laptop for about $500, I wasn’t really a computer tech savvy. When I saw Quad-Core I just did the maths 2.3×4=9.2 GHz. So I thought hey, it’s in my budget and it should be able to help me since I’m not a Hardcore PC Gamer. I just play MMOs. 
Anyway, I decided to download Devil May Cry 5 and was able to run it on High. That was smooth sailing, no lagg at all. The fans wasn’t blowing that much hot air at the time. After a year or 2 all of a sudden there’s lagg. My fans are constantly blowing hot air even when I open Google Chrome only, or watch a YouTube video and I don’t know what happened. There are times when it runs quietly and then it just heats up again. I’ve decided to order a Cooling Pad but I don’t know if that will help. I took the laptop to a computer store and they said no dust was in it but still try and clean it. That didn’t help at all. Honestly, I don’t know what to do anymore. If anyone could give me an idea of what’s going on I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S I’m thinking of building my own PC in the near future.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:04 PM

Heat is generated in computers because you are using energy to get the computer to work. Since no system is 100% efficient, a certain amount of energy is wasted and turns up as heat, and the harder you work the computer the more heat is generated. This is why the really serious gamers pay so much attention to cooling.

In laptops there is a heat sink, or more commonly a heat pipe, fixed to the top of the processor and this conducts the heat to the fan which uses air to cool the heat pipe and so cool the processor. Since you have been told the fan is clean and there is no dust in the machine there is one other possible source of the problem.

Between the processor and the heat pipe there is a thin layer of thermal paste. This is essential to good heat transference and can dry out / harden with the passage of time and become much less effective than it should be. Unhappily, in a laptop, it can be be a fairly involved job to remove and replace this. Have a look at this video and see if you want to try it yourself.. You will see the heat pipe - the copper bars - at about the 6 minute mark onwards

If you do try this, the old paste must be thoroughly removed - a cloth dampened with either methyl or iso-propyl alchohol works well - before you apply a thin even coating of new paste to the top of the processor. And be careful when separting any internal ribbon connectors.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users