Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i5-4690K or wait for Broadwell?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ajhakra

ajhakra

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:38 AM

I am planning on upgrading my CPU soon but i'm not sure whether i should wait for the new Broadwell CPUs(i5-5675C or i7-5775C) or got for an i5-4690K. What are the benefits of Broadwell and if I was to go with the 4690K, would it last me about 2-3 years?(in terms of keeping up with the latest games). My current CPU is the AMD FX-4100 ~4.2GHz and my GPU is the R9 280X(Sapphire Vapor-X OC).

Also if I was to go with the 4690K, would the MSI Z97 PC MATE be an OK motherboard to go with?

Any advice is appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 05 April 2015 - 11:10 AM.
Moved from I(nternal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:04 PM

I am planning on upgrading my CPU soon but i'm not sure whether i should wait for the new Broadwell CPUs(i5-5675C or i7-5775C) or got for an i5-4690K. What are the benefits of Broadwell and if I was to go with the 4690K, would it last me about 2-3 years?(in terms of keeping up with the latest games). My current CPU is the AMD FX-4100 ~4.2GHz and my GPU is the R9 280X(Sapphire Vapor-X OC).

Also if I was to go with the 4690K, would the MSI Z97 PC MATE be an OK motherboard to go with?

Any advice is appreciated.

Ajhakra,

If I were you, don't wait for the new processors. Those will be way overpriced and may blow your budget.

I would pick this i7 processor and the appropriate motherboard and memory for your upgrade as shown below.

You can overclock this processor and the motherboard is compatible for overclocked Intel processors. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($279.99 @ Micro Center) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($121.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $482.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-05 13:01 EDT-0400

Edited by Serpius, 05 April 2015 - 12:05 PM.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:19 PM

It appears to be little more than a die shrink with an upgraded integrated GPU.  Certainly not a "quantum leap".  I suspect the iGPU will be of little interest to gamers.  And as said, it'll probably have a price increase over current parts.  Beyond that, it's difficult to say anything meaningful as no examples are in the wild yet, AFAIK.  Main other advantage is lower power consumption.  This doesn't necessarily mean that it will overclock further.

What I would say is that Ivy Bridge was a similar incremental improvement on Sandy Bridge, as Broadwell is to Haswell.  Few people who owned a Sandy Bridge system were compelled to upgrade to an equivalent chip in the Ivy Bridge line, and in fact the difference between the several years old Sandy Bridge line and current Haswell's is fairly small. 

So in short, no I probably wouldn't normally put off buying because something new is around the corner if what is available now will do what you need it to do.  Something new is always around the corner...

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:33 AM

Intel does a "Tick tock" method of CPU design.  Every "Tick" represents a die shrinkage, every "Tock" is a new architecture.  Broadwell is a "Tick" and its successor, Skylake, is a "Tock." Skylake should be released around August.  If you want to wait, I'd wait for that chip, but keep in mind, Intel loves to change sockets so it may not work in current motherboards.

3939.png

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:56 PM

Skylake won't. Pretty sure they revealed it will be a 1151 pin socket for non-server chips. Dunno about Skylake Xeon chip.

Also, I agree that it probably isn't worth waiting for Broadwell, but it might be worthwhile waiting for Skylake - whenever that is due to be released. nvmnd, you already have a 1150 motherboard

Edited by yu gnomi, 06 April 2015 - 08:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users