Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ElementaryOS

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Pantodynamos

Pantodynamos

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:49 AM

Hello!

I'm relatively new to Linux, but I'm thinking of installing ElementaryOS on a partition of mine, so as to Dual Boot alongside Windows 7. I've got a spare partition of about 127 GB. What I'm wondering is,how should I further partition this partition? A little swap space, besides that, I want to keep a good chunk of it in NTFS so I can read it in either OS without any hassle. What would you recommend? How much space should I give to the root of elementary, and how much swap space, given that I've got 2GB of RAM? I'm planning on moving slowly to Elementary, so I'll be installing a few more programs in the future, such as Libre Office.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:37 AM

Hi Pantodynamos,

A swap partition of around 3GiB should be ample for 32-bit operating systems.

Have you tried Elementary OS on a live CD/DVD or USB yet?

Edited by Al1000, 05 April 2015 - 07:37 AM.

#3 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:07 AM

Elementary OS does try to get you to pay to download  but I believe they were going to change it as it upset a lot of people  so check

I downloaded without paying just to run in Vbox..just by closing the payment windows..  though you used to have to enter $0 to get past it.....unless of course you wanted to donate...

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

Elementary OS does try to get you to pay to download

That's interesting. I wonder if that's a new tactic, as I downloaded it a while ago to try it out, and don't recall $10.00 being in the payment window like it is now.

#5 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:50 AM

I found this article.....which didnt go down well with the posters in the comments......  but explains what they are thinking 

http://news.slashdot.org/story/15/02/11/1753219/elementary-os-why-we-make-you-type-0

Edited by shadow-warrior, 05 April 2015 - 08:50 AM.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:45 PM

Maybe this will help, or, start some controversy at the least lol.  I don't think your questions were answered so I will show you my partitions.  It's a single boot linux but anyhow it will be something.  You can of course do a search and drive yourself crazy with all the different opinions on how to do this lol.

ht8q2t.png

Edited by pcpunk, 05 April 2015 - 05:58 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:53 PM

Maybe this will help, or, start some controversy at the least lol.

I dont see anything wrong with that PC Punk, It's how I partition also.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:58 PM

Whoohoo!!  :thumbup2:  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

I believe windows 7 is in 64 bit machines, maybe you should check first.  If it is, that is what you need to download.  They used to say 2 times the amount of ram, before the ram had to get so big for modern systems, but I'm told that isn't so now.  I would say 3gb is a good size for a swap file.  Some of the people here will probably say 2gb, or even less.  I would advise making both a home and root partition as that will help protect your files keeping them separate from your root, operating system and programs.  I forget what size elementary is, but since you have 127gb free, I'd say maybe to make the root partition 2 or even 3 times the size required.  You will add things to it.  Also some of my downloads always seem to go there no matter how I have the downloads set.  I tried elementary last summer and wasn't.  But I've been seeing a lot about the new distribution they have out, so I'm thinking about downloading it, and trying it again.  I've been trying chalet for 3 weeks now.  Didn't like it at first, but it's sort of growing on me after a sat a few things up my way.  Think I'll keep it awhile longer.  Last summer I don't remember them having the donate page pop up, just a little box on the download page.  I know pear has the download page that you need to close before you can download. 

#10 Pantodynamos

Pantodynamos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for all the advice! I tried it first from a live USB, assured myself that Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and Webcam work fine, and finally installed it with 3 GB of swap space. Some of the efects don't quite work, but that's probably due to my limited processor and RAM. My next aim: a media convertor, preferably ffmpeg, as I've had practice with it already in Windows. Any suggestions how I can get it installed?

#11 Pantodynamos

Pantodynamos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

The solution I found:

1. download ffmpeg from http://johnvansickle.com/ffmpeg/
  2. edit .bashrc
  3. add the following at the bottom: alias <Name_by which you wanna call ffmpeg >='./<path to ffmpeg  >.sh'

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,296 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:58 AM

Why don't you just go into the Package Manager and install one?  just search ffmpeg, they have a few in Mint, don't know about CentOS.   Opps ElemementaryOS!

Edited by pcpunk, 08 April 2015 - 03:13 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:54 AM

How To Install FFmpeg 2.3.3 On Ubuntu 14.04, Linux Mint 17, Elementary OS 0.3, Deepin 2014 And Other Ubuntu 14.04 Derivatives | LinuxG.net

Because it is available via PPA, installing FFmpeg 2.3.3 on Ubuntu 14.04 and derivative systems is easy. All you have to do is add the ppa to your system, update the local repository index and install the ffmpeg package. Like this:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mc3man/trusty-media
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install ffmpeg

Optional, to remove ffmpeg, do:

$ sudo apt-get remove ffmpeg

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#14 Pantodynamos

Pantodynamos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:41 AM

Why don't you just go into the Package Manager and install one?  just search ffmpeg, they have a few in Mint, don't know about CentOS.

You're suggesting I check the Software Center, I presume. If so, then I believe Ubuntu had discontinued official support for ffmpeg in favour of libav. The only things they have there are GUIs for ffmpeg, and libav itself. I'd prefer ffmpeg, however, as I'm already comfortable with it, having used it frequently on Windows.

#15 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:46 AM

There is quite a few Media Converters  most will use "ffmpeg" in the dependencies some where

heres a list i found of a few for linux Mint  which is basically the same as what elementary has under the hood

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1238

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users