Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delete EFI partition for installing new OS?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MV730

MV730

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:24 AM

I must format HDD of my laptop with OEM OS Windows 8 for installing my own personal OS Windows 8 (I have my personal Product Key). Original disk has five partition in this order: EFI System (100 MB), Recovery Partition (900 MB), C/Primary Partition (95 GB), D/Primary Partition(122 GB),Recovery Partition (20 GB) (see attached).
I must delete all partition, including EFI, before I proceed with installing new OS?

Thanks for reply.

Attached Files

Edited by MV730, 05 April 2015 - 01:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:26 AM

Hi MV730 :)

If you are to reinstall Windows 8.1 from a clean installation, you can delete all the partitions present on the drive, then merge them into a single big one and install Windows on it. Windows will create its own EFI partition that it'll use to boot the OS so you don't have to worry about it. Just be aware that if you go down that road, you won't be able to do a Factory Reset on your Windows since you'll have deleted the built-in Recovery partition. But if you don't need it, its safe to do. You can delete all of these partitions and merge them in a single one during the installation, by calling up a command prompt and using diskpart.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 MV730

MV730
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:14 PM

Hi Aura.
I understand all, thanks.

Edited by MV730, 05 April 2015 - 05:15 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:17 PM

No problem MV, good luck with the reinstall and let me know if you have any questions during the process :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users