Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netrunner OS problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:17 AM

I'm trying Netrunner OS right now I really enjoy many of its features but there are some issues one in particular is how Firefox auto-runs as a background process and some activity bar bugs to.

So either I would like to be able to fix some of these issues or find another Ubuntu KDE distro like Kubuntu or Linux Mint KDE and implement the different features that like about Netrunner OS particularly DreamDeasktop.

Speaking of living wallpapers I would like to try Globe and Virus which are pre-installed in Linux Mint KDE.

So can someone help me achieve this.

Edited by SuperSapien64, 05 April 2015 - 07:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:29 AM

Hi SuperSapien64,

First things first. Ideally we would prevent Firefox from starting up automatically, but if we can't do that then we could try writing a script to automatically stop it from running after it auto-starts.

I'm not familiar with Netrunner OS but I see that it's based on Kubuntu. Do you know if there is a facility to add applications and scripts to auto-start when you log in? In Kubuntu it's in System Settings --> System Administration --> Startup and Shutdown --> Autostart

Does Netrunner OS have anything similar, and if so does it say anything about Firefox in there?

If not, please paste the following into a terminal then press Enter:

ls -a ~/.config/autostart/
Does the output say anything about FireFox or Mozilla?

With regard to whether a script to automatically stop Firefox from running after it auto-starts would work, please try running this:

killall firefox
Does that stop Firefox from running, and if so can you start it again without any issues?

#3 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:37 AM

I would wait until some Ubuntu user comes on  but i would Hazard a guess that you have an Autostart / preload  set on Firefox....  

If you go to any system settings in your menus ( may need to be Root) and look for any Items named "Autostart" ,"Starting stopping" "desktop settings  session"  or similar  then look for and unselect Firefox.

You may at worst have to Edit a config file  which will be something like

/usr/share/netrunner-default-settings/kde ???????????

it may also have something like "preload .sh"

and maybe just comment out a line

As i said wait for confirmation from an Ubuntu user as my system is different and I aso don't have a KDE machine available

Edit ....I see Al1000  has posted since i started typing...

Edited by shadow-warrior, 05 April 2015 - 07:38 AM.

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

Hi SuperSapien64,

First things first. Ideally we would prevent Firefox from starting up automatically, but if we can't do that then we could try writing a script to automatically stop it from running after it auto-starts.

I'm not familiar with Netrunner OS but I see that it's based on Kubuntu. Do you know if there is a facility to add applications and scripts to auto-start when you log in? In Kubuntu it's in System Settings --> System Administration --> Startup and Shutdown --> Autostart

Does Netrunner OS have anything similar, and if so does it say anything about Firefox in there?

If not, please paste the following into a terminal then press Enter:

ls -a ~/.config/autostart/
Does the output say anything about FireFox or Mozilla?

With regard to whether a script to automatically stop Firefox from running after it auto-starts would work, please try running this:

killall firefox
Does that stop Firefox from running, and if so can you start it again without any issues?

Well unfortunately that didn't help BTW I all ways use the system monitor to kill Firefox and yes Netrunner is based off Kubuntu.

I guess shadow-warrior's method is my only hope at this point.

#5 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

I just had a quick look at netrunners Forums  and found this  which shows we are on the right track

http://forums.netrunner.com/showthread.php?tid=15584&highlight=firefox

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:53 AM

I just had a quick look at netrunners Forums  and found this  which shows we are on the right track

http://forums.netrunner.com/showthread.php?tid=15584&highlight=firefox

OK I read that thread .But I'm little confused can you explain this process please? :scratchhead:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users