Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Spec Help/Advice Needed?.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:03 AM

I would like to ask for a little help to a question I have, is there a free tool etc that can compare systems?.
After recently reading a review of the game Elite: Dangerous in the New Statesman and myself being a lifelong sci-fi fan, I have spent the last 2-3 days researching the game and came to the conclusion that I could really get interested in it. Being an older person I am unsure whether my PC is capable of running the game though, and I don't really want to buy it only to find that I cannot play it as i am sure you can understand. Below I have posted the stats and hope that a member could give them a check over and tell me if my PC is capable of playing Elite: Dangerous. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

According to the FAQ at the Frontier site the minimum requirements for Elite: Dangerous are the following:
Direct X 11
Quad Core CPU ( 4 x 2Ghz is a reasonable minimum)
2 GB System RAM (more is always better)
DX 10 hardware GPU with 1GB video RAM
Internet connection
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows 7.x
Windows 8.x

My system is:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor (socket AM3) (stock Core Speed 3200MHz)
Memory: OCZ 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz (8.00GB Dual Channel DDR3 @669MHz
Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5
Optical Drive: LG GH22LS50 22x DVD±RW DL LightScribe SATA
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E
Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache
Case: Xigmatek Asgard All Black Interio/Exterior
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TheN00bBuilder

TheN00bBuilder

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:53 AM

According to Game-Debate.com, it should run fine on that system.

Sorry if I snap at you. I can't stand stupid for more than 5 minutes at a time.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:37 AM

Thank you for your time.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:00 AM

I would like to ask for a little help to a question I have, is there a free tool etc that can compare systems?.
After recently reading a review of the game Elite: Dangerous in the New Statesman and myself being a lifelong sci-fi fan, I have spent the last 2-3 days researching the game and came to the conclusion that I could really get interested in it. Being an older person I am unsure whether my PC is capable of running the game though, and I don't really want to buy it only to find that I cannot play it as i am sure you can understand. Below I have posted the stats and hope that a member could give them a check over and tell me if my PC is capable of playing Elite: Dangerous. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

According to the FAQ at the Frontier site the minimum requirements for Elite: Dangerous are the following:
Direct X 11
Quad Core CPU ( 4 x 2Ghz is a reasonable minimum)
2 GB System RAM (more is always better)
DX 10 hardware GPU with 1GB video RAM
Internet connection
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows 7.x
Windows 8.x

My system is:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor (socket AM3) (stock Core Speed 3200MHz)
Memory: OCZ 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz (8.00GB Dual Channel DDR3 @669MHz
Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5
Optical Drive: LG GH22LS50 22x DVD±RW DL LightScribe SATA
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E
Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache
Case: Xigmatek Asgard All Black Interio/Exterior
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium

Bluesjunior,

Your processor is a tri-core processor, which will not meet the minimum requirements to play that game. You need a quad-core processor.

You'll need to upgrade your processor to at least an AMD quad-core. 6 core AMD processor would be better.

Hopefully, you saw this post before committing to the Elite game.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for both replies.

To Serpius, Is it possible to upgrade just the processor to my PC and if so could you recommend one which would be both economical and adequate?.

#6 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:10 AM

Thanks for both replies.

To Serpius, Is it possible to upgrade just the processor to my PC and if so could you recommend one which would be both economical and adequate?.

Bluesjunior,

I don't know what your budget is, but here are 2 AMD processors that will work with your motherboard setup. 
First one is a quad core and the 2nd one is a 6 core. 

I don't know which country you live in, but these are in US Dollars.

Quad core:

NOTE: Must buy a separate CPU cooler

Total: $156.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-05 11:08 EDT-0400

Six Core:

NOTE: CPU Cooler is already included in the package

Total: $255.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-05 11:06 EDT-0400

Edited by Serpius, 05 April 2015 - 10:10 AM.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:53 AM

In the hierarchy of AMD processors, Athlon II CPU's are geared for budget PC's, Phenom II CPU's are aimed at performance.  Get a Phenom II if your budget allows.  Things change a bit when you get to FX CPU's where the architecture takes a radical overhaul.  If you get an FX CPU, which your motherboard cannot handle, I wouldn't suggest anything less than an FX-6300 and preferably an FX-8300 series processor.

You can certainly upgrade to a Phenom II X6, but that processor is more expensive, and of an older design, than current generation FX-8300 processors.  However, your motherboard cannot handle current generation FX processors, so a Phenom II X6 is the best you can use if you want the highest-end processor your motherboard will allow.

If all you're doing is gaming and are planning on upgrading in a year or so, you can probably get by with a Phenom II X4.  Your motherboard is compatible with the Phenom II X4 980, 975, 970, 965, 960, 960T, 955, 945, 925, 910, 850, 840, 820, 810, and 805.  If you decide to go for a Phenom II X4, I suggest a 955 or higher.  These can be a little more difficult to find since they haven't been manufactured in a while.

3939.png

#8 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:58 AM

I came across this video on You Tube on how to open the 4th core on my AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor and upgrade it to a AMD Phenom II X4 B50. It seems pretty straightforward but before I attempt it, I'd like to know what the drawbacks would be and even if it is advisable to do this now that the CPU has been run as a 3-core for approx 4yrs?. The guy in the video reckons he got a 25% power boost.

#9 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:30 AM

I came across this video on You Tube on how to open the 4th core on my AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor and upgrade it to a AMD Phenom II X4 B50. It seems pretty straightforward but before I attempt it, I'd like to know what the drawbacks would be and even if it is advisable to do this now that the CPU has been run as a 3-core for approx 4yrs?. The guy in the video reckons he got a 25% power boost.

Bluesjunior,

Looks like the key to make that whole thing work is the motherboard itself.

It seems that your motherboard does have that Hybrid feature.

You can give it a shot and see what happens.

The only thing that I am concerned about is the power consumption. Does this mean that the processor will now require more power? 

Can your current power supply unit handle it? 

Those are questions that I can't answer because I do not know enough about this kind of feature that some motherboards have, especially for AMD X3 processors. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Edited by Serpius, 08 April 2015 - 05:31 AM.

#10 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:43 AM

As I recall, when I built this PC I had a link to a site where you input all your components and it worked out how much power you needed and I needed 365W and the power source I bought is 550W so I think that should be more than adequate. At present my CPU is at 24 degrees C using just the internet and it goes up to 35 C when I am playing FM15. If I attempted this and I wasn't happy, is it easy to reverse it again or is it a case of, once done it cannot be undone?.

#11 Serpius

Serpius

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:51 AM

Bluesjunior,

Ok, the PSU wattage should be enough.

Well, if you are successful in getting the processor to "open" up that 4th core and you weren't too happy with the results, it seems that you can revert back to it's original factory settings by reversing what you did in the BIOS.

When you play the game Elite and you find out that it still does not play, then, as far as I can tell, I don't see why you can't go back if you need to.

I guess you'll need to try and see what happens.

#12 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:33 AM

I guess we'll leave it at that for the moment then. Thanks very much for your help, it's much appreciated.

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:34 AM

You can unlock the cores of some AMD processors due to binning.  When the processors are made, the higher quality processors that pass QA, or some other threshold, get branded as higher-end processors, those that only pass some checks, get branded as lower-end processors with any problematic, or potentially problematic, cores locked.

Here's an interesting forum thread on binning.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users