Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installing extra software using live-dvd but no hdd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 956 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:54 PM

I have an old laptop computer with no hard disk drive, cannot boot from a usb flash drive, but has a working optical disk drive.  I want to try Xubuntu (as a live-dvd), and be able to download and install additional software onto a usb flash drive and use the software so downloaded (and hopefully installed there).  I believe I would at least be able to browse any files existing on the usb flash drive  (because I did try this much using an attempt to test another live-dvd with a linux).    Can I do this?  How?

In case anyone wants to know the details, old laptop is Toshiba Satellite 1415-s115,  512 MB RAM, no longer any hard disk drive present; I do not remember right now the processor speed, but "Celeron...."   something.  USB receptacles in the back, but the machine CANNOT be made to "boot" from usb flash drive.  NO option for it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 12:04 AM

This page explains how to enhance a read-only LiveCD by adding persistent file storage on another drive.

LiveCD/Persistence - Community Help Wiki - Official Ubuntu ...

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:16 AM

And in case you wish to try Puppy, here's another. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561869/how-to-create-a-secure-multi-session-puppy-cd-with-updatable-firefox-browser/

One of the key points though, no matter what you want to run, is not to finalise your CD or DVD. Unfortunately, you obviously don't have a working Windows OS, but if you have a friend of family member who'll allow you to use theirs, you can use this tool to create a bootable CD or DVD that's upgradable. 

The key is not to place a check in the Finalise Disc box, which by default, is left unchecked, check out the screenshots. That would give you a massive Linux OS to update, upgrade & run. Though I feel that you don't need to include all updates, just Level 1 & 2 ones. Much of the rest will be a waste of precious space. 

http://www.freeisoburner.com/

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users