Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't delete a mp4 file

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Terokal

Terokal

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

Hi, today I discovered that C was almost 67% full. Ran Ccleaner and Defrag and found an mp4 strange file on C's recycle bin. It's almost 4 GB. Recovered it to watch what it's about (cause I don't use that format at all) and sure the file was corrupt. It's saved on D partition but still apears as a not deleted file on C. What can I do to get rid of it. How did it get there to start with?. Haven't downloaded a video in months (only mkv) and they are on an external hard disk. Says it was created monday april 30th ... I wasn't even home but like 200 kms away from my PC. Kinda weird.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:08 PM

"It's saved on D partition but still apears as a not deleted file on C"

Do you mean the file is on both C: and D:?  Have you tried deleting the file in Safe Mode?

#3 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:13 PM

Yeah it's in both (C in the recycle bin and D the recovered version), dunno, I have a bad feeling bout this one, can't see RECYCLEBIN folder in C anymore.

Edited by Terokal, 04 April 2015 - 08:25 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

If it is in the Recycle Bin, the Recycle Bin does not empty when you right click and select Empty Recycle Bin? Are you saying you cannot delete the file in D: also? Can you empty the recycle bin in safe mode?

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 April 2015 - 08:31 PM.

#5 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:55 PM

Gonna try it in a few, ccleaner is wiping out D disk (it's empty anyways) ... as soon as it's done I'll try safe mode ... thanks for the help mate.

#6 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:52 PM

Tried it but didn't work. If I right click the recycle bin icon on desktop it wouldn't allow me to click "empty recycle bin", just the ccleaner options. As I said the RECYCLEBIN folder is somewhere there in disk C but I just cannot see it anymore. Maybe some "command prompts" are needed. I configurated the system to show all hidden files and folders. This is the what defrag shows me. If anyone else than John_C21 can help (cause he's offline now) it would be really apreciated. Thanks in advance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
s (s), NTFS, Capacity: 43.8 GB, Used: 27.4 GB (63%), Free: 16.4 GB (37%)
Total size: 3.7 GB, Fragmented Files (0), Total Fragments (1)
Filename    Fragments    Size    Path    
$RK919CC.mp4    1    3968326405    C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-1299114229-604962728-1052101830-1000\    

Edited by Terokal, 04 April 2015 - 10:00 PM.

#7 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:15 PM

Hi,
Try running checkdisk using elevated command prompt ( http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/783-elevated-command-prompt.html ):
chkdsk C: \r
(a space must be inserted between : and \r)
or as per http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2641432 on your C: drive
Restart if necessary.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#8 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:23 AM

Hi Nihil_CV, thanks for yer help. Just run the chkdsk C: /r (had to invert the \ cause it was an invalid parameter). Looks like the chkdsk was ok, don't know where to find a log or if it's necessary, but the .mp4 is still there :

$RK919CC.mp4    1    3968326405    C:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-1299114229-604962728-1052101830-1000\

Any other solution ?, I'm all into trying whatever (avoiding disk format) cause ccleaner is working as chicken, now I can enter $RECYCLE.BIN but the recycle bin shows that the file is 0 bytes (when it feels like showing it) and I can't access the two S-1-5-21-etc etc (which btw are empty).

Edited by Terokal, 05 April 2015 - 03:11 AM.

#9 Terokal

Terokal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 03:37 AM

Hi, guess I was lucky, just downloaded unlocker's last version and killed 'em all, file is gone, it's not on disk C filling blank space anymore and just in case did the same on the external drive recycle byn. Looks the nasty thing has been destroyed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users