Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible MFT Issue

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 water101

water101

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:46 PM

Started out in the am I infected section then over to malware now on to here. It appears the both my MFT and MFT Mirror are both corrupt. Test confirmed the t HDD was good but TESTDISk was unable to repair the MFT. The computer is malware free and virus free.

The issue I have is that after a reboot the disk usage goes to 100% for about 2 to 5 minutes and you really cant do anything. Then when you open a program it takes a while for that program to open and disk usage again goes to 100%. This only happens the 1st time you open a program.

Is it possible to repair the MFT without having to completely reinstall windows.

Here is a link to my previous topic.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/570329/100-disk-usage-on-restart/page-1

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:06 PM

If both your MFT and MFT backup are corrupted, then there is not way to rebuild the MFT.

Hold the Windows key + X. Select command prompt (admin) type the following at the prompt.

fsutil dirty query C:

What is the output? Does it say the volume is dirty?

Have you run a HDD diagnostic to see if the drive is failing?

You can run a chkdsk /r on the drive but if the files system is severly corrupted it can make things worse. I would not do it unless you have backed up any of your important data to an external drive first.

#3 water101

water101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply. The drive is not dirty, we have run a HDD diagnostic test and the drive is OK. I just ran about 2 hours ago a chkdsk /f  and there we no issues reported after. It was run on a reboot and took about 20 minutes or so and no report or issues were displayed. The MFT may not be corrupt it is just when we tried to do repair it with TESTDISk I got the following     "Failed to fix MFT mirror: write error."

I am willing to try new things to figure out this issue

Thanks

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:35 PM

I am not sure why you get a write error.  You have Windows 8. Have you tried doing a Refresh. Any programs you installed would need to be installed again. I am famliar with Testdisk on a MBR partition table but since you are using Windows 8 I think your disk is GPT and I don't have much experience with Testdisk on a GPT disk.

As far as repairing the MFT with Testdisk, it uses the Mirror but the Mirror is not the full MFT, only the first 4 records. See this thread.

#5 water101

water101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:47 PM

I am using Windows 8.1. I am not familiar with Refresh but I will read up on it. If I do it will I lose any items I have downloaded or files I have saved on my computer or just programs I have installed which I can install again not an issue

#6 water101

water101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:54 PM

Ok after reading it seems like a good choices. It seems like it will just reinstall windows. Will I be back at windows 8 or still at 8.1. Should we check anything else or should I just try it.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:09 PM

If you updated to 8.1 from 8 then I would advise you do not do the refresh. In fact there is a good chance it will not work.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1183043-caution-you-may-lose-resetrefresh-if-you-upgrade-to-windows-81/

There was a poster on the this forum that tried a refresh and it went back to WIndows 8 from 8.1  Read the posts after this post. The initial Refresh failed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/572083/sound-problems/?p=3671779

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 April 2015 - 07:10 PM.

#8 water101

water101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:29 PM

I updated to windows 8.1 through windows update.

Is there a way to check and see if the MFT is corrupt or not. Also do you have an ideas of things to try and resolve my issue

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:43 PM

I do not know how one would check the MFT. A chkdsk is supposed to repair it. Have you done a sfc /scannow at an elevated command prompt? This will check for corrupt or missing system files.

This is the extreme option if you still have issues:

You would need to download the Windows 8.1 install media here.

http://www.howtogeek.com/187525/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-8.1-with-a-windows-8-key/

Your key is embedded in BIOS but you can get it using produkey keyfinder. You would install a fresh copy of 8.1 and reinstall all your programs. You would need to backup all data including bookmarks and email if you use an email client. You would possibly have to update drivers.

#10 water101

water101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:52 PM

The issue only happens on a reboot for just about 5 minutes and when I open an internet option or a video or Office file but only the 1st time after the first time everything runs ok with the following exception certain internet pages load slow and some lines are fuzzy same when I open my email on the web usually about 3/4 of the way down the line is sciwgly. I do not use an email client.

What would you suggest I try I am open to your suggestions.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:02 PM

What do you use for a Security Suite.Some are known to cause a slowdown issue. Have you tried doing a clean boot? If the problems go away, then there is a program confict that is causing the problem.

Open Task Manager. Under the Performance tab  select Resource Monitor. Look for processes that are using a lot of CPU during the slowdown. That may give a clue.

#12 water101

water101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:07 PM

I have no security suite running right now, there was no change in a clean boot. There is never really any high CPU usage just 100% disk usage. I posted a lot of screen images of those programs in my first post and the link above will give you those images or I can give you new images if you want. I am currently running a SFC /scannow at an elevated level

#13 water101

water101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:26 PM

The SFC /SCANNOW  "WINDOWS RESOURCE PROTECTION DID NOT FIND ANY INTEGRITY VIOLATIONS"

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,630 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:27 PM

I looked through that thread and you pretty much covered everything including a sfc /scannow so I am not sure what else I can add.

A couple of things to try.

Disable "Windows search"

Disable the BITS service (Background Intelligent Transfer Service)

Does the above help? Disable Windows Search and reboot before trying the other option.  If that does not help then I am pretty much out of ideas.

#15 water101

water101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:42 PM

No change when windows search is disabled. Disk usage is still 100% but CPU and Memory never above 15%. Once IE opens after about 25 seconds everything runs fine even if disk usage is at 100%.

I will disable the BITS now and try again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users