Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Circumventing the Headphone Jack

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 saudman97

saudman97

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

I cannot hear any sound on my computer whatsoever. And I think I know why. One day I was listening to music on my desktop through my earphones. I guess I was in a hurry to go somewhere so I quickly ripped out the earphones from the jack. 

When I got back I realized that the tip of the earphone-jack connector was broken off and--even worse--it was stuck inside of the jack!

So my problem is that my computer is still recognizing the earphones (which are useless now!) which automatically stops it from playing through the speakers.

I have tried to get the tip of the earphone out of the jack, but I don't think I can do that without opening up the computer (which I don't want to do because I don't have the know-how).

So here's my question: Is there a way to stop my computer from automatically using the earphones, without taking them out? If there is, then how?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:46 PM

It seems to me that if there is something stuck in the headphone jack, it should be able to be removed with a pair of needle nose pliers from the outside, without having to open up the computer. Can you see the end of the headphone jack stuck into the socket? If not, you should be go into the control panel and disable the headphone jack through the sound hardware screen.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

There is a series of videos at YouTube that may be of help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q3YUfvJohg

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:57 PM

If this is a laptop, shut it down, disconnect the charger, remove the battery and hold the power switch down for a few seconds before you start fiddling with the socket. If it's a desktop, shut it down, pull the mains cord out of the back of the computer and hold the power switch down.

I don't think you will find 'needle nose pliers' fine enough to do any good if it is the normal 3.5mm socket. What might be worth trying is using a sewing needle. Use the pliers to put a very short 'hook' onto the tip of it and try fishing the broken tip out with that. Just remember you aren't going to be able to do any sewing with that needle afterwards !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users