Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Battlefield 2:

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jamie2006uk

jamie2006uk

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:46 AM

i've had battlefield 2 on my pc for a few months now with no problems, but for some reason its just stopped working. it gets to the screen where i select my account and it says 'logging in' or whatever it says, and then nothing! it just stays like it. i thought id try uninstalling it, so i went to the control panel and 'add or remove program' clicked 'remove'battlefield 2. an install wizard window opens up for a second or 2 then closes again. then nothing! after that i thought id try installing it again, so i open and sht the cd drive so it brought up the little window and clicked install, the install window opened up again for a few seconds and closed again. so i cant play it and i cant remove it, so what the hell do i do with it??? anyone ideas would be much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:43 PM

Oddly enough, I've heard of this happening with BF2, although I've never had it happen to me (knocks on wood). I have had it happen with CnC Generals and it's expansion pack, Zero Hour. More on that later...

First thing I wold try to do is to let the game uninstall itself. Go into start>all programs and find where BF2 is (I'm not at home, so I can't tell you exactly where it's at/under). See if there's an option to uninstall it, if there is, select it and go from there.

If that doesn't work, then put in disc 1, and let the auto play menu come up. See if there's an option to uninstall. If there is, select that and go from there.

Back to Zero Hour and how it did the same thing that's happening to you. The only way I was able to uninstall ZH and Generals was to open up Windows explorer, and do a few searches. I searched for (all minus the quotes) "*EA games", "*command and conquer", "*generals", "*zero hour". I looked through everything that it found and deleted the things that were related to the game, then restarted my computer. I know that this is a bad way to do it, but it was the only way I was able to get rid of the game from my system. I ran a program to clean the registry, but can't remember exactly what it was. Perhaps it was CCleaner (I *think*, can't be 100% sure on this) to find the old generals entries in the registry and delete them.

I restarted my comp again and then inserted Generals and breezed through the installation. Same thing with the expansion pack Zero hour. Just to double check, I uninstalled both games, and reinstalled them again......with no issues whatsoever. I haven't had an issue since. I've recommended this to a clan member for BF2 (he was having the same problems that you are having) and he said that it worked.

Again, this isn't the best way to cure this problem, but it was the only way I could get it to work, short of wiping my hdd clean and reinstalling everything.

I believe that the problem(s) with my clan buddy was caused by the patches. He had just installed a patch and then had problems (same as you) with the game, installation and uninstallation. I've always used the "upgrade from Vx.x to Vx.x" patches instead of downloading the entire patch. Not sure if that'll make a difference with it, but again, it seemed to work on his computer.

Hope this helps!
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 AmBush

AmBush

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 08 July 2006 - 11:22 PM

jamie2006uk
Sounds like your PW encryption is FUBAR

Goto
C:\Documents and Settings\AmBush\My Documents\

Rename the Folder Battlefield 2 (Doesn't matter What name as BF2 Creates the folder) Try Launching
K.I.S.S "Keep It Simple and Straightforward"

Logged on since July 1996 and Still learning.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users