Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plugged in, not charging prob!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ry12

ry12

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:06 AM

Hello everyone :smash: :)

I have a Windows 7 Dell Laptop,

what happened was that one time the battery was having issues, it said that it was plugged in and wasn't charging so I assumed that it had died out. I think the computer also suggested to replace battery at some point.

For a few months I stayed using the laptop without the battery and than decided to purchase one off the internet.

What I got now is the same thing again, plugged in, not charging!

It sometimes charges so I'm guessing theres an issue with the current and the battery not connecting?

Any suggestions? thanks

Edited by Queen-Evie, 04 April 2015 - 08:38 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to Internal Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:35 AM

Often that is the result of the charger cord. Those can be easily replaced. Both my daughter and I have had to replace the cords on our laptops and are now looking at a replacement charger cord for my grand-daughter's Dell.

You can purchase one which is specifically for your Dell model or you can get a universal charging kit such as this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/targus-charger-for-most-laptops-black/3560608.p?id=1218417720662&skuId=3560608

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

What Queen-Evie has suggested is a good start.  But there are a couple of other things I would suggest that you check first before you go out and purchase a new power adapter.

The first thing you should determine is if the adapter is putting out the correct voltage.  If you look at the adapter you will find the voltage and amperage printed on it.  If you look on the label you will see the model, the input voltage, and the output voltage.  The voltages will look similar to those below.  V = voltage  A = amperage

Input Voltage    100-240V @ 50/60Hz  1.2A

Output Voltage  +12V @ 3A

You can test the voltage with a voltmeter on the DC scale.

Another thing to check is the power connection where the adapter and the laptop are plugged together.  A all too common problem with laptops is the power plug.  If you don't see the power LED indicating that it is plugged into the laptop wiggle it to see if the LED comes on.  

If you find that the voltage is not correct you will need to replace the adapter.  The voltage and amperage are very important.  It should be obvious that if the voltage isn't correct the laptop will not work, or will not work properly.  The same is true of the amperage, with on difference.  The voltage needs to be what is listed for the laptop, but the amperage can be higher than what is suggested, but not lower.

I have shopped online for power adapters for members in the past and found adapters advertised to be for a specific laptop, but didn't have either the proper voltage or amperage.  You need to pay attention to this.

One last thing to be aware of, this is the number of cells in the battery.  If you have to replace the battery you will want to make sure that the voltage and amperage are correct, but you also will want to purchase a battery with at least the same number of cells.  Batteries with more cells will be able to hold a charge longer as long as the battery is in good shape.

I would also suggest that you not take the word of a "sales person" at department store like the one listed in Queen-Evie's link.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:41 AM

I would also suggest that you not take the word of a "sales person" at department store like the one listed in Queen-Evie's link.

Absolutely correct. I just used that as an example of what I was talking about.

In the case of my HP I knew it was the adapter because the adapter for the little darling's Dell fit the HP. As soon as I plugged in to the HP it charged.

Vice versa for the Dell. I used the tip from the adapter kit which works for my HP on the Dell. Again it charged.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

Queen-Evie, you dodged the proverbial bullet.  Just because the male connector fits the laptop does not mean that the adapter has the correct voltage.  I can't emphasize enough the importance of making sure that the adapter has the correct voltage and amperage.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:06 AM

Dell has been using dual voltage adapters for many laptops.  This means a serious problem for the  cord troubles encountered.  One circuit is to power the unit and the other for charging.  There is also a small circuit board that is called an inverter inside the LT at the power connector.  When the cord circuits get shorted or crossed, the inverter fails and the unit will not charge or run on the adapter but a good battery works fine.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:10 AM

It's been a while since I bought the kit but I did make sure I made sure the one I got was correct for voltage and amperage which was listed on the box.

I wrote down what was on the HP adapter and made it sure what I bought matched.

As for the Dell I wasn't worried about it not being correct since it was only used when the kid forgot to bring her power cord to my house or for a couple hours to charge the battery after her adapter quit working.

#8 ry12

ry12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 01:51 PM

Thank you guys for all the help! I will look into your suggestions and will post back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users