Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

This app can't run on your pc

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stevekom

Stevekom

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:14 AM

My computer has ceased opening any word or office programmes and most apps in windows 8 - I receive the message above. I have run sfc /scannow Dism restore health (which did not work) and DISM check health which found no corruption. The issue affects programmes such as open office  apps such as the windows store evernote, applications such as malwarebytes.It occurred after my computer updated yesterday and also after I scanned with Emsisoft antimalware. Internet browsers and other programmes such as Omega T are not affected. It seems quite serious.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:43 AM

When you say your computer updated, was this Windows Updates?

#3 Stevekom

Stevekom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:48 AM

Thank you for getting back to me, yes probably - but it just said my computer was updating when it restarted though, usually I am given advanced warning, so it may not have been- I will be going out at some point today but will reply when I can as I am keen to sort this out and grateful for your help

#4 Andrei_V

Andrei_V

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:57 AM

Okay, that means Windows had downloaded updates ready for you to install, then when you restart the system goes ahead with the install.

Things to check next:

Are there any valid restore points in System Restore ?

If you open Windows8 menu and go to PC Settings, look at the bottom entry, Recovery, open that and click the refresh system button.

We don't want to refresh yet, but the system will tell you whether a refresh is possible. 

Once you know the answer you can cancel the refresh process.

Also take a look at your Windows 8 start menu, check to see if any of the Tiles have "error" against them.

#5 Stevekom

Stevekom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:03 AM

Strangely I don't seem to have recovery, the bottom entry is windows update.

#6 Stevekom

Stevekom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:06 AM

I went to the menu on the right which pops up when you hover the cursor and clicked the settings cog- can't see system restore- no tiles have errors

#7 Stevekom

Stevekom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:27 AM

I have found system restore via the control panel- it seems to start up okay- should I give it a try? It will restore it to before what it says was a critical update of 2nd April

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:53 AM

I may not be able to continue on this topic with you......but from what I have read, doing a system restore will be a good move. It can do no harm, and may well do some good for you.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#9 Stevekom

Stevekom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 09:35 AM

Thank you! The system restore worked.

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,787 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:06 PM

ok....thats good...however.....it would be a good idea to stop windows updates doing their thing automatically.....for the time being at least.

You will find instruction how to do that HERE

My reasoning here is that until either the actual cause of your pc not opening any apps, or the alleged problem with a windows update is sorted.....it will at least rule out the possibility of this being related to an update from Windows.

In other words, if this problem presents itself again after you have turned off the automatic updating.....then the cause lays elsewhere.

if your pc has been turned off since your last reply here.....it may well update itself again when you turn it back on.....and you wioll then need to do the system restore again followed immediately by turning windows updates either off or to at least stop the 'automatic' install of updates.,

Pay attention to any other differences, glitches, behaviors, etc etc that are not the 'norm' for your pc...

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users