Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formating C&d Which One First

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:26 AM

I have XP Home SP2 with C and a D recovery partition.

Both are corrupted and infected. Should I format the C part or the D partition. Since both are infected would not the remaining partition try to reinfect the newly cleaned partition.

How may I go about stopping this from happening?

Any ideas or am I just being overly paronoid?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 08:08 AM

[/b]dannyboy[/b] could you give us a little more information. Mainly what brand computer and what do you think it is infected with? Do you have the recovery\restore\OEM XP disk?
Have you looked at our self help section? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/55/spyware-and-malware-removal-guides-and-reading-room/
Do you really want to spend the time to safe you current install or do you just want to start over?

If the drives are infected beyond repair yes you need to clean your drive prior to re-installing XP. If you go to this extreme I would recommend a drive "wipe" in stead of a simple "format". Wiping a drive overwrites the information on the drive, while formatting leave the information intact but allows the old information to be written over.
There are many "wipe" programs and of various degrees of destruction. I find that a Simple Wipe is perfect for cleaning a disk for installation. It will overwrite the entire dive one time. If you are attempting to conduct a secure wipe there are several strenghts that you can use DoD (7 passes), Gutman (38 passes), or specify how many time. 38 passes is Black Helicopter paranoid, and frankly a waste of time.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users