Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Laptop and Corrupted Log file

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 polaris_dave

polaris_dave

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:00 PM

Hi All,

I've got an Acer Aspire 5520 laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium, SP2. Processor is AMD Turion 64 X2, 1.9 GHz. Running 3 GB Ram, 32 bit operating system. Video card is GeForce 7000M.

On some websites, particularly Facebook and others with embedded video, including YouTube, the computer bogs down and the fan starts to speed up. This thing is terribly slow. I've cleaned the cooling fan, followed the 'slow computer' tutorial here on this site, and have pretty much covered all of the bases with cleaning up unwanted programs and programs running at startup. I always use CCleaner to keep temp files to a minimum.

I used the Windows System File Checker tool and had the following message:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6002]
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\David>sfc/scannow

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.
Verification 100% complete.
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of th
em.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

C:\Users\David>

I'm not sure if this is related to my problem or not. I'm wondering if it even a video card related problem. This has been a good system for me over the years, and I have done my best to keep is clean of viruses and malware, following many tutorials here on a regular basis.

Any help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

Hello there, 

You'll need to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Also, in order to optimise your PC for a better performance follow this: http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows/optimize-windows-better-performance#optimize-windows-better-performance=windows-7

Give those steps a try and see how you get on.

Hope this helps!

#3 Mason Higgins

Mason Higgins

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 23 April 2015 - 08:25 AM

Hello there, 

You'll need to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Also, in order to optimise your PC for a better performance follow this: http://windows.microsoft.com/is-is/windows/optimize-windows-better-performance#optimize-windows-better-performance=windows-7

Give those steps a try and see how you get on.

Hope this helps!

This one will surely help in this case. And I hope you get it right from the set of instructions. 

#4 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 02:28 AM

It's not uncommon for sfc to be unable to fix all files. Acer will provide you with installation disks free or at low cost if you don't already have them.  You could try a repair from disk to fix any corrupted files.  I have a Dell Inspiron with similar specs, and the fan bugs me too, but I don't get the slowdowns you're talking about.  Before you worry about the SFC files, I would run a full system scan with your AV, and a scan with MBAM and SPYBOT. If things aren't better,

I would like You to download Minitoolbox from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/

check the following boxes:

Flush dns

report IE proxy settings

reset IE proxy settings

list IP configuration

list last 10 event viewer errors

list installed programs

list devices....only problems

list users, partitions and memory size

THEN CLICK GO..

once you've run this....copy and paste the log in your next post and perhaps we can find a reason for the slowdown. You have plenty of memory, so it's either malware or too much running.  It's all fixable, though.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

#5 enemyofthestate

enemyofthestate

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

what i did was to buy a SSD  and re-install the o/s on the SSD  .  81% improvement time according to passmark test.  my toshiba p855-s5312

goes from power off to the win7 login screen in fifteen seconds !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users