Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Pro Freezes Up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Simbo

Simbo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:21 AM

System:

Windows XP Pro SP2, 2.8Ghz, 1G Ram.

I had an annoying popup window that was selling AntiVirus Software.

After trying to remove it ,

It started to freeze up or reboot the OS.

eventually Windows wouldn't boot or show me the Bios Screen.

I reset the CMOS and the was able to boot windows again,

Now windows freezes both in normal and safe mode.

how do i stop it freezing up long enough to fix it ???

Thanks in advance, this is my first ever post to a forum. sorry if iv'e broken your rules.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:45 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.
I have three options for you.
The first is easy and quick if you can use the self help section.. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/55/spyware-and-malware-removal-guides-and-reading-room/
The second is a forum that you can ask question in and receive advice from staff and members.. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
The third is a forum where your computer is scanned evaluated by experts that assist with this site.. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Normally I would only recommend the third option but what you have sounds like something you can take care yourself. If you do have problems please feel free to add to this post.
I will move this topic from the XP Forum to the Am I infected forum. I am sure it will receive more attention there.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Simbo

Simbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:48 AM

thanks ill check them out, see if i can get this thing fixed.

#4 Simbo

Simbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:51 AM

I had a look at removing virus/malware/spyware.

All these options seem to work if you can use the computer, my operating system freezes before i can do anything.

Please help !!

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:37 AM

Hmmm. Have you cleaned the inside of your computer in the last year? It is starting to sound like a heat problem. Consult this link to guide you thru the cleaning process. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

#6 Simbo

Simbo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 09:33 PM

Thanks for the reply, computer is very clean heat not a problem.

I have since re installed winxp pro over the existing one.
It has fixed most of my problems,
now i'm not able to use the internet.

I can ping everything except websites

help would be appreciated

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:42 AM

I assume since you said you can ping everything you are o a LAN.
Unplug your modem, and router. Turn your computer(s) and network devices off. Wait one minute then plug your modem back in. Wait one more minute and plug the router back in. This should clear the Rcache in both the modem and router. Now turn everything else back on.
See if that cleared your problem up. If your modem has a battery backup remove it also. You need to remove all power to both the router and modem.

#8 CoMFReAK

CoMFReAK

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:19 AM

Yupe :thumbsup:
I understand ur problem... i had this experince last 4month with my customer.. can ping LAN but not ping sites???

You pc showin up u been infected by spyware that might modified ur LSP (TCP/IP Setting). Try to download XP TCP/IP Repair... This software might help reset the lsp setting... and Holaa U Connected to ON9 !!! Hope this reply might help u.................. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users