Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SPF Record Help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:12 PM

Hi all, I am not too familiar with SPF records, i just know they ensure that the sending server for a particular domain is authorized to send mail etc (at least i think, let me know if i am wrong).

My mail is hosted with Office 365, and when i set this up it asked me to create an SPF record on the domain which was the following:

v=spf1 include:spf.protection.outlook.com -all

Can someone let me know what the above does? I though it would allow mail to be send that is routed through office 365 servers but mail being sent from my domain elsewhere would fail, is this not what is happening?

I only ask because I have a Joomla website that can send out messages using PHP mail and it sends out successfully, i would of thought that it would have failed with a correct SPF record that only allows office 365 to send mail. Could someone clear this up for me.

The domain is animalsanctuary.org.uk if that helps!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:35 AM

SPF records don't block outgoing mail traffic -- they simply signal to other mail servers that email being sent from that mail server is legit. It is up to the other mail servers to determine whether or not to block those incoming emails that don't have SPF records configured. Any email sent through Office 365 will have a proper SPF record; anything sent using PHP won't. This may cause email being sent out by the Joomla server to be blocked when it tries to send email to certain mail servers.

You should be able to configure your PHP mail with an SMTP relay through Office 365 if you are worried about mail from the Joomla website being blocked for a lack of an SPF record.

#3 David Ashcroft

David Ashcroft
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 06 April 2015 - 09:50 AM

I am not too worried about it, it is only admin emails that will come to me when we receive donations etc and they seem to be working and sending to me. I just know that my email account the mail is being sent to is also hosted on office 365, i just thought microsoft and office 365 would have something in place to check SPF records.

ThankS! :) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users