Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports providing power, but will not connect or recognize devices

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 mheimbu2

mheimbu2

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:15 PM

I have an Acer Aspire M5 481PT-6644 running Windows 8.1. While using a wireless mouse, the mouse became disconnected from my computer (not physically disconnected, but an error message popped up saying the device was not recognized). I pulled out the USB wireless transmitter, plugged it back in, and it re-connected with my computer. Shortly thereafter the mouse became disconnected again (same thing as before with an error message) and now no USB device will connect to my computer. I will get power from the USB port, but it will never recognize devices and nothing shows up when I scan for new devices.

I first tried deleting all of the USB drivers and then restarting the computer, but the problem remained.

I tried using a system restore point, but the USB ports still weren't recognizing devices even after the restore (though I am not 100% the restore point was far enough back since I tried a lot of different things before doing the restore).

I changed the power settings for the USB port so that the power was always on, still nothing (I was always getting power through the ports, it just wasn't recognizing devices).

I went to some computer techs and they had me change the boot order in BIOS and used a USB thumb drive to boot the computer into Ubuntu from the USB drive, but once loaded USB devices wouldn't work in Ubuntu either. Before booting from a USB we just tried plugging in the thumb drive, which had a light built in that showed when the device was being read. When the thumb drive was first plugged in the light would turn on for a second and then turn off, after a few second the light would flash for maybe a second or two and then turn off again and wouldn't light up again (not really sure what that means).

After about two hours of trying things, they told me that it must be a hardware issue, but I am not sure how I could load an operating system from a USB thumb drive if it was a hardware issue.

I am trying to hold off on a system refresh or anything that would wipe programs from the computer since I have several proprietary programs that are difficult to reinstall. Any help is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,771 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:22 PM

It should be a driver issue, it may not be USB but another conflicting driver can cause this.

Edited by OldPhil, 03 April 2015 - 07:24 PM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 mheimbu2

mheimbu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:24 PM

Go to device manager, delete the USB items.  Reboot windows it should reinstall the drivers, power is always on unless something electrical has failed.

Unfortunately tried that several times and didn't work.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,658 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:29 AM

Your computer specs out as having USB 3.0 ports. Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

#5 mheimbu2

mheimbu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:00 PM

I have one error (exclamation mark symbol) message under "Sound, video and game controllers" section. The error is next to "Bluetooth audio devices". I tried manually reinstalling this driver, but it has been unsuccessful when I have tried. I get a message that says "This device cannot start (code 10)". I haven't had any problems using or connecting bluetooth devices so I wasn't sure if this was a major problem.

I have not tried deleting this driver and restarting as I wasn't sure it would reload as with the USB drivers. Could this driver be the issue?

Thanks for the help!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,658 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:14 PM

Windows 8 includes native drivers for USB3.0. You can uninstall the USB drivers then in Device Manager click on your computer name and in the menu bar select Scan for Hardware Changes.

But first try the following. Download USBdeview. Unattach any USB devices except your mouse,keyboard,or USB network adapter if you have one. Run USBdeview and delete all Vendor Specific Devices except mouse,keyboard,network,or printer. Reboot and see if the problem is resolved.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

#7 mheimbu2

mheimbu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:39 PM

Windows 8 includes native drivers for USB3.0. You can uninstall the USB drivers then in Device Manager click on your computer name and in the menu bar select Scan for Hardware Changes.

But first try the following. Download USBdeview. Unattach any USB devices except your mouse,keyboard,or USB network adapter if you have one. Run USBdeview and delete all Vendor Specific Devices except mouse,keyboard,network,or printer. Reboot and see if the problem is resolved.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

I wasn't sure which device drivers I should try deleting, so I'm including the reportAttached File  report.html   10.03KB   4 downloads. The only drivers with an obvious vendor were from Microsoft and one from Qualcomm. Let me know if you see anything. Thanks again!

Edited by mheimbu2, 06 April 2015 - 04:49 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,658 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:15 PM

Have you tried attaching the receiver to a different USB port. I would try that first.

Delete the bluetooth module. I know this is your mouse but delete it anyway. Then remove the receiver and reboot. Attach the receiver and see if it is detected. I think the two composite and two video devices belongs to your Webcam. Do not delete those.

#9 mheimbu2

mheimbu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

Have you tried attaching the receiver to a different USB port. I would try that first.

Delete the bluetooth module. I know this is your mouse but delete it anyway. Then remove the receiver and reboot. Attach the receiver and see if it is detected. I think the two composite and two video devices belongs to your Webcam. Do not delete those.

I should have mentioned in the first post, I tried both USB ports and several devices, but nothing worked. I also confirmed the devices worked on other computers.

I deleted the bluetooth module and restarted, but still didn't work when I reinserted the receiver.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,658 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:04 PM

You said you already deleted the USB in device manager. Were these the USB hub controllers? I would uninstall those and then reboot if it was not the hubs that you deleted.

I did find this. This issue affects USB 2.0 hubs and USB 2.0 components in USB 3.0 hubs  

The hotfix is only for Windows 8 but the rest of the article is valid for Windows 8.1. You need to edit the registry

You would do To enable the update for all the USB devices that are enumerated on the computer, follow these steps  I would create a restore point before editing the registry.

#11 mheimbu2

mheimbu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:26 PM

You said you already deleted the USB in device manager. Were these the USB hub controllers? I would uninstall those and then reboot if it was not the hubs that you deleted.

I did find this. This issue affects USB 2.0 hubs and USB 2.0 components in USB 3.0 hubs  

The hotfix is only for Windows 8 but the rest of the article is valid for Windows 8.1. You need to edit the registry

You would do To enable the update for all the USB devices that are enumerated on the computer, follow these steps  I would create a restore point before editing the registry.

I deleted everything under the "Universal serial bus controller" section. There are 2 "USB Root Hub" listed, 2 Intel Chipset USB enhanced host controllers, 2 "Generic USB Hub", and 1 "Bluetooth hard copy cable replacement server". I uninstalled all of these and restarted. They all reinstalled, but USB ports still weren't working.

I will update when I try the hotfix.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,658 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 06:41 PM

Just a note: The downloaded hotfix is not for Windows 8.1, just the registry fix.

#13 mheimbu2

mheimbu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:26 PM

I edited the registry and no improvement. Should I try uninstalling and restarting the USB drivers again after the registry edit?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,658 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 07:38 PM

You can try it but I am not sure it will work. It can't hurt to try. I still do not understand how you were able to boot Ubuntu via USB but after the install it USB no longer functions. Is there a setting in UEFI that relates to USB 3.0? 

Did you reboot after doing the registry edit?

Edited by JohnC_21, 06 April 2015 - 07:42 PM.

#15 mheimbu2

mheimbu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:46 PM

I rebooted after the registry edit. Then again after I tried uninstalling the drivers again.

I think the computer techs that did the Ubuntu trick were also unsure. That was the point they pretty much gave up and said they couldn't help.

I have no idea about the UEFI? Is there a way to check?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users