Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ultra Adware Killer....

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:07 PM

http://www.carifred.com/ultra_adware_killer/

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:36 PM

Do you have anything to say about the program or just posting the link for FYI?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

Looks like it's made by a company/person that also offers a "Ultra virus killer" which is basically another "PC Booster" in the same kind of iolo System Mechanics or IObit Advanced SystemCare. Clearly advertise that it'll "optimize the Registry" as well, suspect.

http://www.carifred.com/uvk/

Personally, I wouldn't trust it entirely. Also it seems like the kind of program a trained support would use since it offers a lot of options that the common end-user wouldn't know about. I see that this "Ultra Virus Killer" seems to incorporate TDSSKiller, AdwCleaner, aswMBR, Junkware Removal Tool, Malwarebytes, RogueKiller, etc. (download and execute). Are the developpers of these programs aware of it?

I'll give it a go in a clean VM tonight and see what it find but I don't expect much from it right now.

Edited by Aura., 03 April 2015 - 03:41 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

UVK - Ultra Virus Killer is a free program by Carifred which purports to detect and remove malware from a computer. However, there are more reliable and trustworthy programs which I would recommend and trust more. Further, the software includes other features (System booster registry cleaner) which claim to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Previousy the website had posted this note.

UVK bundles advanced tools for cleaning, boosting and optimizing Windows.

That program like many similar ones is junk.

I was curious if Condobloke had tried it and if so...any comments.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:07 PM

Also it looks like there's a paid version of it. I don't know if the developpers of popular free malware removal tools are okay with this program "bundling" them in it and then asking the users to pay in order to use it. quietman, could you bring this to Xplode and thisisu's attention? I would be interested to know if they know about this product.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:15 PM

sorry folks...posted it in a hurry...

No...i have not tried it...(and am not about to !)

I am looking for comments, anyone who has had experience with it....etc etc

This must be of some interest to the general community

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

Microsoft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the whole house...

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:17 PM

Ultra Adware Killer is available as stand-alone product but it is also part of Ultra Virus killer which has been around for a while so most of our security experts are aware of it.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:19 PM

Personally it's the first time I've heard of it but I'll put it to test tonight when coming back from the movies and I can let you know. quietman, what does the Security Experts here think of this product bundling their free tools in it?

unite_blue.png

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:58 PM

System repair
Automate the most popular malware removal tools: MalwareBytes AntiMalware, Super AntiSpyware, Rogue Killer, Kaspersky TDSSKiller, Avast! aswMBR, AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal Tool and Avast! Browser Cleanup .

UVK Help

UVK can automate installing/updating some of the most well known malware removal tools, and also make them automatically start a scan. In order to perform these scans, tick the checkbox next to the third party tool you want to run. Remember that you can save this selection to a file, and import it back later.

UVK Third party builtin scans

system_repair.png

It apparently downloads the programs which you choose to select and adds them to its list...it also allows you to add other third party apps to the same list.

As I recall, I believe HitmanPro did something similar to this years ago when they first appeared on the scene,

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:54 PM

I find it quite sad that a paid product uses tools that are free to use in order to promote itself. In my opinion it's a big disrespect to the author of these tools but what can else can I say.

unite_blue.png

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:05 PM

I agree.

#12 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:00 PM

I find it quite sad that a paid product uses tools that are free to use in order to promote itself. In my opinion it's a big disrespect to the author of these tools but what can else can I say.

Is that even legal?

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,607 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:01 PM

I have no idea. I don't know licences and terms of use enough for that, hence why I asked if the developers of the tools being used in that program were aware of it and if they gave their permission or something else.

unite_blue.png

#14 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:54 PM

I think MBAM has a problem with HerdProtect using their engine, so just wondering how this works as well.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 06:21 AM

This is all public knowledge. If there was a legal avenue to pursue, I'm sure the developers would have taken it by now. I know Malwarebytes does not hesitate when it comes to their product. I noted that thisisu was reading this topic yesterday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users