Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cd/dvd player will only play cd not dvds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 woodcamp

woodcamp

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

I have an HP Pavilion and can't figure this out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,216 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:43 PM

The most common cause for this symptom is failure of the DVD section of the dual laser. The most straightforward way to see if this is so is to try to boot the computer from a bootable DVD, such as a Windows installation DVD or a Linux Live DVD (they're usually pretty easy to find). This leaves out other factors like Windows, and if the drive cannot read the DVD to boot from, this confirms the drive needs replacement.

There is a small possibility that the laser lens could have a spot of something that blocks only the DVD laser beam, so cleaning the laser lens is another thing to check. However it's not very likely that a dirty lens would stop the DVD side and not affect the CD at all.

If the system boots happily from the DVD, then we can proceed to do diagnosis of a software cause.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 woodcamp

woodcamp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for your help but after I posted this I discovered that the newer versions can't play dvd. Reason? According to MS, "DVDs are old school technology".

Who knew? :smash:

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,216 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

The newer versions of ...? Media Player? Due to licensing conditions I believe, Media Player defaults to not having a DVD decoder installed, and needs to use a plug-in. Most people just use another player.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:40 AM

Try VLC Media Player.  It's free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users