Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen of Death With Cursor

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jvbranson

jvbranson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:25 PM

I was uploading my sons basketball video to Hudl services the other night on my daughters laptop and I believe the battery went dead or someone shut the lid without closing out. Now it wont boot up even in safe mode. I get a black screen with a mouse cursor. I am in no way a computer kind of person but i read a post from someone that had a similar problem on Bing and he said he got the fix here. He downloaded FRST64 and than Microsoft defender offline as well. I have no clue how to do this to a computer that cant boot up. The laptop is an ASUS and i am actually typing on it currently due to if having a splashtop operating system as well. This computer contains some photos and videos that i really want to save without resetting windows and all of that. Does anyone have a clue how i burn these discs and better yet run them on a laptop that technically start up. Sorry for sounding dumb but I am in a huge bind. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:02 PM

Hello, and Welome

If you have access to another Windows 7 computer, you can create a System Repair Disk and from that do a "Startup Repair" It may take up to three times before the repair is successful. Can  you retrieve the data from the hard drive using splashtop?

#3 jvbranson

jvbranson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:17 PM

I don't know if I have access to another computer with windows 7 can I purchase one of these online? I cannot access the data on the hard drive through splashtop.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:21 PM

I do not believe you can purchase a Windows 7 System Repair Disk online. Do you have any computer besides the one you are posting from?

#5 jvbranson

jvbranson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

no and this is my work computer. I don't know what I am going to do on this one.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:29 PM

What OS are you using on your work computer?

Edit: I just wanted to clarify that this work computer is the one with splashtop, correct?

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 April 2015 - 02:30 PM.

#7 jvbranson

jvbranson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:32 PM

no the laptop that has the black screen is the one with splashtop. we have windows 7 but I cant burn a disc here at work against the rules.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:40 PM

Can you talk to your IT support staff and ask them to burn a System Repair disk? If they allow that it would also help if you ask them to burn an iso file of Puppy Linux.  I can provide the link for Puppy linux. Booting the Puppy linux disk would allow you to access the HDD and retrieve the files to a USB flash drive or External drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users