Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't take ownership of downloads folder

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 moartea50

moartea50

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:15 AM

I reinstalled chrome due to a problem and when i tried to download something it saved it to documents folder instead of downloads. Then i decided to look at the folder and when i tried to move a file in it it said "you need permission to do this action" although i had admin privileges. I tried Take Ownership , PsExec and Unlocker but neither of them worked. I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:11 PM

Where were you trying to move the file?  It may have been the destination and not the source that was causing the message.

#3 moartea50

moartea50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 03:56 AM

I tried moving a file to the downloads folder.i can't save anything into that folder.When i boot into safe mode i can move files into it.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:34 AM

Hi moartea50 :)

Follow the instructions below please (if that's okay with you too Kilroy).

zImGw67.pngWindows Repair All-In-One
NOTE: Before following to step below, please disable your Antivirus software or any other real-time security software that you have enabled.
  • Download the portable version of Windows Repair All-In-One;
  • Move the file (archive) on your Desktop, and extract it there;
  • Go in the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio folder, then Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, right-click on Repair_Windows.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • From there, click on the Next button until you are presented with an Open Repairs button and click on it;
  • Let the Registry back up complete, and move on to the check-list window;
  • Click on the Unselect All button at the bottom, then check the following items:
    • Reset File Permissions - Make sure the C: drive is checked under it;
  • Once done, click on the Start Repairs button and let the scan execute;
  • If you are being prompted with a Security Warning, allow it to go through;
  • Once the repair is complete, it'll ask you to restart your computer, please do it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 moartea50

moartea50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:59 AM

Hi aura :). I can't connect my pc to the internet at the moment and my phone has problems with the usb , so expect some delay until i find a workaround to get the file on my pc.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:23 AM

Alright well let us know if you need assistance with these issues as well :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 moartea50

moartea50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:17 PM

I ran the windows repair and it seemed to fix it. Thanks :) .

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:20 PM

No problem moartea, glad to see that your issue has been solved :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users