Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Haze Core 5 OS

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:41 AM

I just stumbled onto this OS the other day ,Haze is relatively new,and I would highly recommend it for the Linux Newbie! Simple layout,easy to navigate,and just the tools you need to get started in Linux! It has a few bugs,but overall not a bad little OS! :bananas:

Edited by paul88ks, 03 April 2015 - 03:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:22 AM

Haze OS is a free Ubuntu plus GNU/Linux based Operating System designed specially for beginners and professionals. It was designed to be easy-to-use, customizable and beautiful inside out. Haze OS comes in multiple flavors, core edition being the most recommended one. It's available for free today for 64 bit systems.

http://hazeos.co.nr/

EDIT: Looks like HazeOS was submitted to DistroWatch on 12th January 2013, but hasn't been reviewed.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=Haze

Edited by Al1000, 03 April 2015 - 04:32 AM.

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

That's odd- because it so easy to figure out and operate! I wonder what happened! Did it slip between the cracks? or run out of money? It does have a few bugs-

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:20 PM

I guess it probably isn't popular enough. It isn't mentioned in wiki's List of Linux Distributions either.

Here's a video of Haze OS 5.2. It looks quite nice.

Edited by Al1000, 03 April 2015 - 12:22 PM.

#5 shadow-warrior

shadow-warrior

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:59 PM

It does look quite nice though not my type of thing..

Distrowatch has Distros in the list from 2007  many have since died out..  here is Distrowatches Criteria for being listed and reviwed 

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=submit

reading it seems to point at paying for advertising to give yourself a boost and to looking serious    I guess a lot that get put forward may be 1 man band outfits who pretty much just change the wallpaper of an existing distro and offer it up as a new  Distro  and with little development and user support die out quite quick when paying for a website is needed....I see HazeOS uses a Free domain name co.nr .....but i guess for some people thats all they can afford and why not use free stuff..

Its quite good fun to flip through some of the ones on the list...i was suprised to find the oldest one is still being developed...though it is a German server for schools... the much humoured about RebeccaBlackOS is still progressing and could be worth downloading as it uses Wayland (and weston) as oppsed to  X   

Edited by shadow-warrior, 03 April 2015 - 04:21 PM.

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:16 PM

That's interesting. I searched the page for Haze and found it about halfway down the list. Maybe if it's still around in a year or two it will get listed. They do have a support forum, but there are only a few posts on it.

Edited by Al1000, 03 April 2015 - 04:16 PM.

#7 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:37 AM

Well - it's a very simple system,so most linux users won't even bother with it. I think it would be a great training OS for a linux newbie,if nothing else!

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:47 AM

Nothing special about Haze IMO it's Ubuntu based and comes in GNOME, KDE and LXDE based versions.

It is heavily tweaked and preconfigured,

I prefer to do the tweaking myself.

#9 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:35 PM

Haze has a new edition out called "Cheesecake" Haze 6.0 which is now Debian based. It looks great,but I could not get the .iso to boot except in "Debug" mode software rendering with no acceleration- from what I can tell it didn't like my video card- Radeon 6450 or Radeon R5 230 by the box name. When I tried to install it it froze when loading the video driver. Apparently- this is a one man show- I've been emailing the "guy" Hasshir and he has responded,but so far only able to run it in Debug mode. It is even more loaded than 5.0 and will be really nice if he can get it going.In the meantime--- waiting!

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:21 AM

Haze has a new edition out called "Cheesecake" Haze 6.0 which is now Debian based. It looks great,but I could not get the .iso to boot except in "Debug" mode software rendering with no acceleration- from what I can tell it didn't like my video card- Radeon 6450 or Radeon R5 230 by the box name. When I tried to install it it froze when loading the video driver. Apparently- this is a one man show- I've been emailing the "guy" Hasshir and he has responded,but so far only able to run it in Debug mode. It is even more loaded than 5.0 and will be really nice if he can get it going.In the meantime--- waiting!

No wonder it hasn't climbed the charts! 

For a distro to be popular, it must be stable enough for virtually anyone to at least boot, having to do so in 'Debug' mode doesn't sound very promising. 

That's odd- because it so easy to figure out and operate! I wonder what happened! Did it slip between the cracks? or run out of money?

Yes, kind of like Peach OSI, which had all of the potential in the world to become a Top 50 distro by now, if not further up the ladder. Yet it was their lack of support & having a 'real' forum that dogged the OS more than anything. Peach ran like a rocket on a notebook with only an i3 CPU, likely because it's Xfce based & was loaded with decent, usable software, so much that it surprised me that it's an Xfce distro. 

If only they had created an open forum, which would have cost little, as most all Staff, even Administrators & Moderators gets no pay on many forums, the distro would be ranked much higher today. So by censoring the few posts that were created, followed by their statement of letting the Linux community provide support for their distro (a sign of arrogance), the Peach OSI founder shot himself in both feet. The founder of Peach OSI had a great idea & OS, just a poorly executed business plan. Using having to care for a handicapped child, while sad, for an excuse, isn't a valid one in the business world. These distros are a dog eat dog business & the owners has to have forum support for their OS's to survive. Heck, even Zorin OS, which hides behind donation clauses to prevent refunds, at least provides a forum for it's users, and 'donors' gets the same support as those who doesn't pay. I find that a funky way to do business too, yet they're almost always inside the Top 25, so must be doing something right. Was in the Top 10 & let it slip away. 

That's why Peach OSI will slowly trickle down the charts until they're gone. Was at #177 for the 12 month period last time I checked, now are rated #196 in the same time span. That's clinging to a position. as once it slips past #277, the party is over. Only if the owner creates a forum where he isn't involved, which I suggested to him w/no reply, will the OS grow. Mint is in the #1 spot & it's founder rarely makes an appearance on the forum. it's the job of the forum's Staff to monitor activity. 

If Haze Core OS is going to be noticed, it has to make the needed changes in the OS to make it runnable & have an open discussion forum. Being that it's two years old with little improvement isn't a good sign. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 09 September 2015 - 02:24 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#11 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:45 AM

If Haze Core OS is going to be noticed, it has to make the needed changes in the OS to make it runnable & have an open discussion forum. Being that it's two years old with little improvement isn't a good sign. 

Well , I'm not sure,but I think the guy who put this distro together,is a one man show- who's name is Hasshir, definitely Indian,by the thick accent on the demo video of "Cheescake" so i don't know if this guy is working out of his basement or what- like you said ,there is no forum of any kind really.I have 5.0 running on a test drive and it runs beautifully,updates itself,and even let me install Chrome on it.I've been using it for a couple of weeks now,and really wish it could get a foothold,basically because it's very easy to operate for a beginner. One big minus is that it doesn't come in a 32 bit version,which would be great on a laptop or older computer. I hope he gets his act together,it has a lot of promise,but seriously lacking support -

and as you said,obviously not a good businessman!

Edited by paul88ks, 09 September 2015 - 02:46 AM.

#12 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2015 - 03:17 AM

It does look quite nice though not my type of thing..

Distrowatch has Distros in the list from 2007  many have since died out..  here is Distrowatches Criteria for being listed and reviwed 

http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=submit

reading it seems to point at paying for advertising to give yourself a boost and to looking serious    I guess a lot that get put forward may be 1 man band outfits who pretty much just change the wallpaper of an existing distro and offer it up as a new  Distro  and with little development and user support die out quite quick when paying for a website is needed....I see HazeOS uses a Free domain name co.nr .....but i guess for some people thats all they can afford and why not use free stuff..

Its quite good fun to flip through some of the ones on the list...i was suprised to find the oldest one is still being developed...though it is a German server for schools... the much humoured about RebeccaBlackOS is still progressing and could be worth downloading as it uses Wayland (and weston) as oppsed to  X   

i didn't realize the competition was so high- kind of a bummer for anyone trying to get a distro released- but that's the way the business world works I guess!???

decided to download some of these as a Live DVD just for fun-

Edited by paul88ks, 09 September 2015 - 03:50 AM.

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:21 AM

Wow, that's a massive number of Linux distros waiting in the wings, one of which was a Linux Mint one in 2011, looks to have been given up on. 

Though what I found to be odd, pay & one's automatically on the list, like any other organisation, DistroWatch has bills to pay to keep the site going. This is not to be confused with fudging numbers, I presume they'd add another number to the bottom of the list, still at #277 where it was when I last checked. If that low, chances of climbing out of the gutter into the Top Ten is about as good as winning a $100,000 scratch off lottery ticket, maybe lower. They don't need to expand the list, if a very low ranked distro isn't moving & not contributing to site upkeep, drop it from the list rather than expand for 'bottom of the bucket' or 'doormat' distros. 

Personally, I feel the list is too large, yet that's my personal opinion & I respect the ones of others whom may feel differently. DistroWatch is being extremely generous with having 277 ranked distros, as they know the same as I, anything below 200 has next to no chance of advancing as a serious competitor. That should be the maximum number allowed, make the upstarts earn their way on the list by earning usershare, rather than place the lowest ranked number on it, which actually lessens it's chance to succeed. Users sees a distro ranked that low & chooses another, this includes myself. 

Haze Core 5 OS has a chance, though the window is rapidly closing. One man shows makes climbing the charts even harder. Successful distros has a staff on hand, often paid, though some may be volunteers or Linux interns, and the founder is the last to be paid. Over the years, have seen quite a few come & go, most with little or no notice to it's users. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 10 September 2015 - 02:23 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users