Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu Studio

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:36 AM

I want to thank Shadow-Warrior for turning me on to Ubunto Studio- it is a full- fledged Music and Video production workstation. The layout is clean and simple so as not to distract the person trying to make a CD or DVD or Photo Editing or Video editing- This operating system has it all.,and will be supported thru 2019. I can't imagine what they will come up with next. This all came about because of my very bad experience with 64 Studio,which was abandoned in 2008.Anyway it really screwed my system up! I will be spending a lot of time learning how to use this incredible tool! If you are a musician ametuer or professional,you NEED this OS! At least burn the .ISO and try it out! Thanks again!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:01 AM

I used it for a couple of weeks, and liked it too, altho I didn't figure out how to do a lot.  As I recall ubuntu puts it out for working on music, pictures, etc..  AVLinux is a lot like it, but I'm not sure of the support on it.  I never needed it on either one, but ubuntu is big enough, and most people on here says has a good support system.  My daughter-in-law calls them artsy-fartsy (hope I can say that).  I have her running AVLinux now, she liked it best.  Converted her last summer.

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

I wish AV Linux came in a 64 bit distro- I have an old 32bit Dell I could try it out on- but it doesn't have a lot of memory- A lot of the same programs are on Ubuntu Studio-

#4 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

Yes, a lot of the programs are on both.  They are quite similar, I was just offering a choice for the 32 bit systems.  I like ubuntu studio.  I've talked people with old xp (all 32 bit) machines into trying linux.  Pretty easy actually, they don't want to just scrap them.  My old xp machine as 2 gb of ram, and a 2.? ghz, dual core pentium processor.  It has had plenty for all of the distros I've tried, except fedora, and I'm thinking I may have did something wrong with it.  Fedora just took up so much space, more than twice what it was supposed to.  My son has always been attracted to sites with malware, and he hadn't been able to use it for over a year.  His wife jumped at the chance after using it on my desktop for about 10 minutes.  I bought her some discs from OSdisc, and she has only tried av and is still very happy with it.  A few years back, maybe 10, I was into editing and making music, but I just sort of put it on the back burner, ran out of time actually.   I enjoy trying different distros, when I have time also.  Sounds like you're doing great

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:45 AM

It's been awhile, at one time was running Ubuntu Studio when first released in a VirtualBox VM to check it out. 

The reason why I didn't keep it wasn't because it was a bad OS, rather had no use for it. Someone like Paul may end up loving the OS. 

Glad that you like it Paul, enjoy Ubuntu Studio! Has a lot that musicians like yourself can put to good use. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users