So, hello. I ruled out malware pretty early on, but I'm not an experienced expert, so I figured I'd give it another shot. I really have no clue what the problem is.
Running a Toshiba Satellite L755D laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. Everything is out of the box except for a less-than-year-old 1 TB HDD.
- Computer takes a while to startup once Windows takes over. It takes maybe twice as long to get to the desktop than it used to, and then it may take a few minutes for me to actually be able to do anything.
- Once it has started, applications tend to be sluggish, unresponsive, or even crash (only one to do so is Windows Explorer. Twice.). Typing is at normal speed, doesn't seem affected.
- After startup, it's not always consistent. Like, as I type this, for instance, it seems okay.
- Malwarebytes, Avast, MSE, Spybot, and AdwCleaner all returned nothing malicious. I ran Rkill before hand. Only active anti-malware is Avast. I use the other two for second opinions.
- HDD is not fragmented, and dskchk returned nothing.
- sfc /scannow did pick up on a couple of things, but the computer was still slow upon reboot.
- Nothing unusual hogging system resources.
- Computer is not overheating
- I run CCleaner fairly often, and there is still a good ~300GB left on my HDD.
- I've tried disabling unessential things that run on startup. Nothing changed.
- I've tried system restore. After the restore, I get this error.
Any ideas, guys? At this point I hope it's a virus, since the alternative could be more... expensive.
Edited by Expresate, 03 April 2015 - 12:30 AM.