Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer has been pretty slow. I've done a bunch, but at a loss.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Expresate

Expresate

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:26 AM

So, hello. I ruled out malware pretty early on, but I'm not an experienced expert, so I figured I'd give it another shot. I really have no clue what the problem is. 

Running a Toshiba Satellite L755D laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium. Everything is out of the box except for a less-than-year-old 1 TB HDD.

Symptoms:

- Computer takes a while to startup once Windows takes over.  It takes maybe twice as long to get to the desktop than it used to, and then it may take a few minutes for me to actually be able to do anything.

- Once it has started, applications tend to be sluggish, unresponsive, or even crash (only one to do so is Windows Explorer. Twice.). Typing is at normal speed, doesn't seem affected. 

- After startup, it's not always consistent. Like, as I type this, for instance, it seems okay. 

Troubleshooting:

- Malwarebytes, Avast, MSE, Spybot, and AdwCleaner all returned nothing malicious. I ran Rkill before hand. Only active anti-malware is Avast. I use the other two for second opinions.

- HDD is not fragmented, and dskchk returned nothing.

- sfc /scannow did pick up on a couple of things, but the computer was still slow upon reboot. 

- Nothing unusual hogging system resources.

- Computer is not overheating

- I run CCleaner fairly often, and there is still a good ~300GB left on my HDD. 

- I've tried disabling unessential things that run on startup. Nothing changed.

- I've tried system restore. After the restore, I get this error. 

Any ideas, guys? At this point I hope it's a virus, since the alternative could be more... expensive. 

Edited by Expresate, 03 April 2015 - 12:30 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:07 AM

Have you done the Hotfix recommended?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Expresate

Expresate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:34 AM

Have you done the Hotfix recommended?

Actually, no! After I posted this I did another sfc, and then started an avast full system scan. It's still goin'.

I should have done that first, but it didn't seem urgent. Most things seemed rolled back. It would be my luck that the error was caused by whatever's causing the issue. 

I'm sorry, forgive me ;-; I'll do that, try another restore, and report back at some point. Thanks.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:39 AM

Yeah, lets see if that's it.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Expresate

Expresate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:56 PM

-whoops-

Edited by Expresate, 03 April 2015 - 08:11 PM.

#6 Expresate

Expresate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:18 AM

Okay, so, I'm either hallucinating from sleep deprivation, or the problem is fixed. The slow problem, not the error. As for the error, I went along with the hotfix, created the custom image, burned a disk, booted, and found out that I had somehow ended up with the wrong version of WinRE. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But.. yeah. It boots fine now. No black screen before the desktop loads. No Rainmeter taking ages to decide to get out of bed. No sluggish and unresponsive windows explorer and Chrome. Just back to how it used to be.

....the answer is clearly radiosity depletion. Solar flares bouncing off of neptune... and swamp gas. Weather balloons?

I dunno. If I come to the conclusion of what fixed it I'll come back with a post. 

Edited by Expresate, 04 April 2015 - 12:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users