Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I put my Power Supply in upside down?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:23 PM

Note: this thread is not about an actual hardware problem, my system works fine. If you are looking to be helpful to people in actual distress, this is the wrong thread.

Here is my build if relevant http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2nPTRB (it is different from last time I posted it due to including some stuff that was added from last computer and some new stuff I ordered and installed)

When I first built this rig, I assumed that my PSU fan should face downward in the bottom of my computer case. My case has a grill at the pertinent spot, and came with a pad for the explicit purpose of acting as a filter for a PSU fan. The case stands approx 1/2" from the wood surface of the nook in which it resides (I know that bottom intake fans don't work when the case is flush with the surface which supports it).

I thought everything was good. However, I have since seen multiple internet posters express the view that the PSU fan should always be on the inside of the case. Did I do it wrong? Are my computer components going to suffer for it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:59 PM

I am using this power supply http://www.amazon.com/Antec-VP-450-Energy-Certified-Supply/dp/B004IZN3K2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1428033032&sr=8-4&keywords=atx+power+supply with this case http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004GGUAUE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I had no choice but to mount it "upside down" but have never had any issues and case temps. never have been higher than 120 ° F.

Edited by alv117, 02 April 2015 - 11:05 PM.

#3 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:02 PM

Which way do you have it - drawing air from outside the case, or drawing air from inside?

#4 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:07 PM

Air exhausts through the bottom (drawn through the top) it's not optimum but as I said no heat issues.

#5 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:12 PM

Exhausts through the bottom or the back?

My PSU has an intake fan on one side- which could be either the top or the bottom depending on how you orient it, a mesh on the back side, and solid panes on the other 4 sides. So the only options are to intake from within the computer case, or to intake from outside the computer case.

#6 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:22 PM

Through the bottom, if you look at the case photos in the link you'll see how I really had no other choice. Here's the only photo I have handy of the final build.

DvE5Oc.jpg

#7 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:25 PM

I've since removed the ugly optical drive and replaced it with the original cover plate that blends into the front panel much nicer.

Edit*** it is pulling the air through the back and exiting through the bottom.

Edited by alv117, 02 April 2015 - 11:27 PM.

#8 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:29 PM

Mine is just an ordinary mid-tower. When I look at your set-up, I am not quite sure what I am looking at. Do you have multiple monitors, or some sort of display(s) on the outside of your case?

#9 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:32 PM

Also, whatever you did, the result is pretty cool looking.

#10 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:32 PM

Single monitor for now (19" wide screen) its behind the stack in the photo, on top of the PC case is my old stereo receiver.

Thank you!

Edited by alv117, 02 April 2015 - 11:33 PM.

#11 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:35 PM

I'll try to post some more current photos in the morning, it looks much nicer now and I also have a new Sony 7.1 surround sound receiver hooked up to it.

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:14 AM

I did a lot of research before building my PC and I have the intake of my PSU facing up and the exhaust blowing out from the bottom of my case. I did it this way to minimize dust into the computer. The cooling seems to be fine.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:56 AM

The fan for obvious reasons is to cool the psu, it should be drawing cool outside air.  I have a Cougar tower the psu sucks air from the bottom and vents is out the back.  In the past most all psu's were vented into the case systems did not run as hot as they do now, it is only in recent years that bottom mounted units showed up, case fans were unheard of on home user systems.  We make more heat these days have to get rid of it anyway we can.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#14 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 09:02 AM

My PSU only has one fan and I have a case where the PSU is mounted at the bottom.  I have the PSU drawing air through the underside of the case (it exhausts through the rear of the PSU).

It is fine but 1) the case should not be put directly onto carpet, and ideally should be raised 2) it really needs a dust filter on the PSU air inlet, and the filter should be cleaned from time to time.  This way hot air from the rest of the computer does not heat up the power supply), but conversely the power supply no longer exhausts heat from the rest of the computer so you really need a separate exhaust fan with this setup.  If there is no filtered vent in the bottom of the case, then I would not have the fan facing down.

7sbvuf-6.png

#15 yu gnomi

yu gnomi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

Mine is mounted on the bottom of my case, fan side down. I use my system form a pre-fabricated computer desk, that came in a DIY kit, cheaply made but nicely designed. My case sits in a nook (cubbyhole, whatever) designed to hold a computer tower, and the case has feet that keep the bottom about 1/2" off the wood surface. There is an intake filter (it came with my case). 

I think the airflow is probably good enough, I have been using this computer for ~7 months now with no issues I would suspect of being PSU related.

I just read on a webforum somewhere (dunno where) that PSU's should always be mounted so they intake from inside the case, and exhaust to the outside. I am pretty sure it was an old thread in that forum, but several posters seemed pretty firm on that point. I guess when I see a fairly specific point like that being made by multiple people, I just wonder whether they know something I don't. I'm not a rube, really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users