Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Was The First Computer You Ever Used?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Floydoid

Floydoid

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 03:55 AM

Just to complement the thread about the first computer you owned... do you remember what was the first computer you ever used?

The first one I ever used was a mainframe back in my undergraduate days, some 30-odd years ago, I forget what model it was, but I'm pretty sure it was an IBM or ICL machine, which had to be programmed (in either Algol 60, Fortran IV, or Cobol) with decks of punched cards... tho we did have a few terminals, from which you could run your programs, which consisted of a type-writer type console with a roll of paper to serve as what we would now call a monitor. I also remember we had a PDP11 which had to be programmed in assembler, again with punched cards.

Oh happy days.

Edited by Floydoid, 01 July 2006 - 04:03 AM.

Posted Image "Is it any wonder that the monkey's confused?"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:29 AM

I remember in 1995 (when I was 5 years old) the school had these old old computer with a trackball and a keyboard.. I think they were IBM and we would start a program and it would take about 2 minutes to load and the pixels were as big as a binder... :thumbsup:

#3 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:32 PM

Elementary school...1990-1991...some beginning Apple computers (I don't know the specs...I was 5!!!). They had *gasp* color screens, and those huge black floppy drives. They played all sorts of learning games, (very old school) and Oregon Trail...I miss that game....*wistful sigh* :thumbsup:

#4 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 04:44 PM

yup, those are like one of the first computers i ever used.

They played all sorts of learning games, (very old school) and Oregon Trail...I miss that game....*wistful sigh* :thumbsup:

lol, did you ever play the game or did you just hunt. "you shoot 1000 pounds of meat, you can only carry 100 pounds" we used to get in trouble for that all the time. then when i did try to beat the game, class was over.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#5 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 07:47 PM

yup, those are like one of the first computers i ever used.

They played all sorts of learning games, (very old school) and Oregon Trail...I miss that game....*wistful sigh* :thumbsup:

lol, did you ever play the game or did you just hunt. "you shoot 1000 pounds of meat, you can only carry 100 pounds" we used to get in trouble for that all the time. then when i did try to beat the game, class was over.

I actually played it...but my party kept dying of dysentery. I only beat it once...I think I did a jig in my chair. :flowers: However, you described the actions of the boys in my class perfectly. :trumpet:

#6 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 09:34 PM

TRS-80 Model III, computer class.
Posted Image

#7 brooksey!!!

brooksey!!!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:51 PM

the first computer i ever used was an Acorn!!!! my old old school actually still uses them!!!OMFG! :thumbsup:

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2006 - 04:36 PM

Atari (forget which model. The one with the keyboard console)

Posted Image

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

Not counting CRT terminals in a mainframe environment, it was a Vic20.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2006 - 10:23 AM

It was a BBC Microsystem v2 (believe me there was nothing micro about it) in school back in 1984, typing and playing a game called Granny's Garden.
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

#11 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2006 - 07:12 PM

Apple II I think (such a lovely all green screen)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 01:44 AM

Not sure. It was a terminal that had a punch card device to store the programs and data. I was only 17 (1978), and it was at State Library. I wish I still had those punch cards.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#13 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,675 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2006 - 09:09 AM

The TRS-80 and PET computers that were in the Library. They were also my first introduction to RPG games. They had this fun little RPG game that I used to love.

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 12:58 PM

Old Mac computer at school. I'd say around 1991, so I was aroung 7 or 8. It was the kind with the keyboard built into the computer.

#15 BusyB

BusyB

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2006 - 03:16 PM

Sinclair ZX Spectrum with its rubber multi-function keys that were set to program in BASIC. It took Houdini standard dexterity to be able to get certain commands when learning to type would have been easier. After that it was a BBC-B. I never did fill a complete C30 cassette.

After that it was an ICL 2904 mainframe computer, which filled a massive, air-conditioned room all on its own.

Yes - I am old.

Edited by BusyB, 13 August 2006 - 03:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users