Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with wifi repeater and other devices

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Assilem

Assilem

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:14 PM

I'm having problems with my wifi repeater (I think)..
I have a laptop downstairs that is plugged into the router and then upstairs I have a wifi repeater and a laptop that is working off that signal.. My problem is that the internet doesn't seem to work on my tablet or iPhone unless my laptop upstairs is turned on. It will connect no problem but it won't actually work. Also if I have other people here they cannot connect to the wifi unless my laptop upstairs is turned on (sometimes not even then) .. If I am connected and then turn off my laptop then the internet on my mobile devices stop working. I have no idea what is going on and neither does anyone else so would appreciate any help.
I am using Windows 8 and a Huawei WS320 wireless repeater. I have a BT home hub 3 and a BT Infinity openreach modem

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:15 PM

I'd reset it and do the setup steps again. Unless you've done this already?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Assilem

Assilem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:09 PM

Yes I've done this a few times over and exactly the same result. I borrowed some powerline adaptors from a friend today and they work beautifully so it looks like I'll have to invest in some of those unfortunately

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 PM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:46 PM

There is something out of the ordinary going on. Did you use that laptop for setting up the repeater? I have no idea what a repeater would have to do with your laptop. If I am reading the setup correctly, you plug it in, it has it's own network that you connect a wireless client to, surf into the GUI, and set it to connect to your wireless. Then unplug it and plug it in where you need it. Unless you have the repeater set in some sort of ad-hoc mode to the laptop, I am not seeing any way for it to matter if the laptop is on or not. You did set it to connect to your downstairs wireless network right?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Assilem

Assilem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:55 PM

Yes... Plug it in next to the router, let it connect to the router, take it upstairs and plug it in and I get perfect signal on my laptop via wireless (after connecting and disconnecting a few times) I just have to then keep my laptop on for anything else to work. But yes it's very out of the ordinary. And whilst I don't know a whole lot about computers/the internet I can't see how my laptop should make a difference

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users