Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC restarts when playing graphic intensive games or running stress tests

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 antilegacy

antilegacy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:29 AM

System Specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 revision 1.2 F7
Ram: G.Skill Ripjaw 16GB 1600 DDR3
Graphics card: EVGA GTX 760 superclocked with ACX cooling
CPU: AMD AM3+ 8150 Zambezi 8-core with cooler master hyper 212 plus
PSU: Rosewill 1000w lightning(just purchased it)
Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Keyboard and mouse: CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard and Mouse Combo Bundle
Operating System: Windows 7 home premium

I have removed the 2 new sticks of 2x4gb ram and began trying to test the PC.

I ran memtest on each of the 2 remaining sticks of ram for 12(first one overnight) and 9 passes without finding errors.

I have ran the furmark test and OCCT GPU burn in for over 20 minutes and my temps never ran higher than 83(which is about what the card is supposed to do). During the burn in test though but the -12 rail was all over the place in voltage ranging from -11.2 to -14.6. Not sure if that helps.

However when I try to run Prime95 in any test with 8 threads it crashes within around 5 minutes of starting . I was able to run the small fft test with up to 6 cores without a problem, but as soon as I added a 7th worker it causes a crash within minutes. I have not played around much with the thread number for the other tests, I just know it causes a restart without BSOD every time I try to run the 8 worker torture test.

I have also tried running OCCT tests. With the OCCT: CPU test in small data set a reset happens after about 10 minutes. Large data set ran for about 5 minutes before crashing. I also ran an OCCT Linpack test, which causes my computer to restart after about 3 minutes. I was watching the temperatures and they never went over 48C The CPU should be good up until about 61C. So I don't think it's a ventilation or overheating problem.

I have monitored the temperatures with the CPUID HWmonitor and haven't noticed the temps going out of the ordinary while running the stress tests, but I did notice that the -12v value drops pretty drastically(leveling itself out usually shortly after)

At this point I'm not sure what the problem is. I just know that every stress test I have tried to run on the CPU causes a restart.

Please help.

P.S. none of these restarts create a dump file(and I have it set to not restart under power options).
It's also running in the high performance profile.

I do not currently have access to my home computer as I'm at work, but if anyone has any idea's I can try them when I get home.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:28 PM

Since your CPU temps aren't going up and your voltages are odd I'd suggest replacing the Power Supply Unit (PSU).

#3 antilegacy

antilegacy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:48 PM

I just bought the power supply that I'm using currently, it added some stability in testing, but only enough to add about 5-10 minutes before a crash.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:23 AM

Reviews of PSU may be worth reading, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182239 , bearing in mind that there will always be the possibility of failure/damage.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users