Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it a monitor or computer or connection problem.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LoricaLady

LoricaLady

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

I just got a new Acer monitor because the old one was not working.  Now I wonder if the monitor was the problem.  This new monitor worked the first couple of times I turned it on.  Then it gave a blank screen the 3rd time.  For some reason, quickly turning the power strip on and off will make everything work again, though I get a screen telling me I have to start up by pushing return.  I do not have to push the button again to turn on the computer as it is still on after I push the power strip button off and on.

The first time I had a problem I disconnected and reconnected everything on the new monitor.  It worked fine for several days. (I turn it on once a day).  Then again today I got that blank, bluish grey screen.  I don't remember hearing the computer sounds that let you know things are turning on.  Again, when I pushed the power strip button qquickly on and off it all started up again.

The computer is a 1 & 1/2 year old Dell desktop.

Thanks very much for any help.

Edited by hamluis, 02 April 2015 - 12:19 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:35 AM

I would try another Power Point to connect to directly and see what happens then.

Also if possible connect another PSU { Power Supply Unit } to the computer if you can get a hold of one and try that.

Post Back any update.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:59 AM

When you power up, the monitor and desktop power up together?  Reason for asking:  I found it better for me to have to monitor power up just before the destop is powered up.  Having had similar problems before, I solved them by having the monitor "come to full ready" before desktop power button is pushed.  Please let us know if this idea works for you.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 LoricaLady

LoricaLady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:38 AM

I would try another Power Point to connect to directly and see what happens then.

Also if possible connect another PSU { Power Supply Unit } to the computer if you can get a hold of one and try that.

Post Back any update.

Thank you.  I tried a new powerstrip and so far, just one time, it has turned on fine.

#5 LoricaLady

LoricaLady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:39 AM

When you power up, the monitor and desktop power up together?  Reason for asking:  I found it better for me to have to monitor power up just before the destop is powered up.  Having had similar problems before, I solved them by having the monitor "come to full ready" before desktop power button is pushed.  Please let us know if this idea works for you.

I always leave the monitor power button on.  That never has been a problem in years of doing that.  Hope it is okay but let me know, please, if not.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,429 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 11:23 PM

I always leave the monitor power button on.  That never has been a problem in years of doing that.  Hope it is okay but let me know, please, if not.

Leaving the monitor always on should not be a problem.  In the old days, when swapping monitors, if the "right" pin, one of many monitor pins, was bent and not connected, then the keyboard and/or mouse would not work.  I cannot remember the electronics behind this misshap.

Edited by RolandJS, 03 April 2015 - 11:24 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#7 LoricaLady

LoricaLady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:13 AM

Leaving the monitor always on should not be a problem.  In the old days, when swapping monitors, if the "right" pin, one of many monitor pins, was bent and not connected, then the keyboard and/or mouse would not work.  I cannot remember the electronics behind this misshap.

Thanks for the reassurance!  And the monitor and computer have been working just fine with the  new powerstrip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users