Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo forgotten Power Up password

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 akayshabloom

akayshabloom

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:18 AM

Please realize I am not sure that I have posted this in the right place.

Lenovo Think Pad
MO: R3N032601016
Type 7826
S/N: EB29332735 12/06/01
Windows Home Basic Prod Key - Mod Edit.. Removed Product key~~ boopme

At this moment that is all I have.

I was asked to see if I could get the thinkpad to work.  It seems the owner, through a soured relationship has been locked out of it.
The battery does not seem to work. But when plugged in I can get it to power up.

When I power it on i get a symbol that I have found means it is asking for a powerup password. It gives me 3 tries. Then it locks me out, til I power it down and back up.

On Power up I am advised that "to interrupt normal startup, press the blue ThinkVantage button"
It flashes "preparing boot disk list"

I get a DOS looking screen that is a Startup Interrupt Menu with the following choices.
Immediately I have to hit enter to stop a countdown screen - pausing the screen

Press one of the following keys to continue:
ESC to resume normal startup
F1    to enter the BIOS setup utility
F11  to recover your system
F12  to choose a temporary startup device
Press ENTER to pause ......

I have tried each of these choices and were taken straight to the power up symbol.
The keyboard has the Fn button on the bottom. So I have also tried to push it along with my choice. No different response.

I also went online to see if there was a way to reset the password. 
I saw some things about disabling batteries... removing different internal hardwares.... 

So I wanted to check with you all first.

You have given me such good advise and helped me before.
Please let me know your opinion as to what to do now.

Thank you....Tina

akayshabloom

Edited by boopme, 02 April 2015 - 09:38 AM.

akayshabloom
Tina

Don't Forget to Breathe...
It is the beginning of life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 alv117

alv117

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:38 AM

There is no need to give your product key for help, to avoid it being stolen and used by someone else you should remove it.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,698 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:54 AM

See the following link. You may have one of the three passwords. If the password is a power up password, it is possible it can be reset if you have the supervisor password set. If you cannot enter BIOS and the power up password is not reset using the instructions in the link then there is not much you can do other than to contact Levono with proof of purchase.

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht036206

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users