Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet keeps disconnecting on Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nwarde

nwarde

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:09 AM

For months now I've had this problem, I keep getting a "Limited Connection" message. I've googled it and disabled a lot of stuff that said could be clashing with my Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter, but most of the stuff I disable or uninstall keeps coming back again!

It will connect to the internet for hours without a problem, then all of a sudden it will keep disconnecting every minute or so. I also noticed a orange triangle with an exclamation mark when it disconnects.

Under Network Adapters in Device Manager I have the following installed, the one's in Bold are hidden/disabled:

Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)

Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter

Microsoft Wifi Direct Virtual Adapter

Qualcomm Atheros AR956x Wireless Network Adapter

Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter and Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface keep reinstalling no matter how many times I disable or uninstall them.

How many Network Adapters do you need? Could they all be clashing with each other, hence the disconnection every time?

Edited by nwarde, 02 April 2015 - 06:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 guardian_angel

guardian_angel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:19 AM

Hi nwarde,

I just recently experienced the exact problem you are. I purchased a Dell XPS computer with Windows 8.1 installed on it and the connection problem pretty much began right out of the gate.  I feverishly searched the Internet for a remedy to the problem, trying everything from disabling my Bluetooth driver adapter to configuring my wireless adapter settings for optimal performance. Right clicking on the the Internet bars and troubleshooting the issue would correct the problem but only temporarily.  After countless hours researching the problem, I finally found a permanent fix to the problem and I haven't had a single connection problem since then (oh, happy day!)  The solution? It was very simple:

updating my driver

In my case it was Intel, so I went to their web site (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu) and followed the instructions for updating my driver and PRESTO!  No more problems. It's been approximately two months since updating my driver and everything is working perfectly. I strongly recommend trying this yourself if you haven't already.

Here is a link to the web site that suggested this as a solution to the constant disconnecting: http://wind8apps.com/wi-fi-disconnects-windows-8-1/

Best of luck.

#3 nwarde

nwarde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:42 PM

Hi there.

Thanks for the reply. I did an update of the driver earlier, worked okay for a while. Then the problem returned!

It could be a problem with the reception upstairs, as the laptop has been running quite fast downstairs (for the last hour so far).

I'll check out the links you posted. Thanks again.

Edited by nwarde, 05 April 2015 - 05:43 PM.

#4 guardian_angel

guardian_angel

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:48 AM

Hi,

Any luck?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users