Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google kills 200 ad-injecting Chrome extensions, says many are malware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:15 PM

Google is cracking down on ad-injecting extensions for its Chrome browser after finding that almost 200 of them exposed millions of users to deceptive practices or malicious software.

More than a third of Chrome extensions that inject ads were recently classified as malware in a study that Google researchers carried out with colleagues from the University of California at Berkeley. The Researchers uncovered 192 deceptive Chrome extensions that affected 14 million users. Google officials have since killed those extensions and incorporated new techniques to catch any new or updated extensions that carry out similar abuses.

The study also found widespread use of ad injectors for multiple browsers on both Windows and OS X computers. More than five percent of people visiting Google sites have at least one ad injector installed. Within that group, half have at least two injectors installed, and nearly one-third have at least four installed. Google officials don't bar such ad injectors outright, but they do place restrictions on them. Terms of service for Chrome extensions, for instance, require that the ad-injecting behavior be clearly disclosed. Customers of DoubleClick and other Google-operated ads services must also comply with policies barring unwanted software.

Google kills 200 ad-injecting Chrome extensions, says many are malware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:44 PM

See here also:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/571874/google-releases-a-teaser-report-of-research-being-done-on-ad-injectors/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,864 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:43 PM

If I'm understanding this...it confirms something I had suspicions about, after looking at  a number of different Speccy results.  Chrome users seemed to be experiencing problems with RAM usage and unknown processes...moreso than Firefox or even IE users, IMO.

Louis

#4 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:01 PM

I had a single Chrome tab in a single window open when I took these. I am using a high contrast theme in Win 8.1, so my task manager may look different than what people are used to.

Chrome1.png?dl=0

2 pics to see all processes

Chrome2.png?dl=0

#5 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:47 AM

If you have Process Explorer up, try pointing your cursor at one of the Chrome lines.

I did and it showed me a bunch of things in the command line area... apparently these additional processes are used to support a ton of things.

#6 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

Tried that. It seems that a few of the processes seem to be for nearly the exact same purpose, only difference I noticed was the value after channel ="  (towards the end) is different for each instance. Not really sure what they are for.Chrome%20Process.png?dl=0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users