Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Studio laptop overheating?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:08 PM

Owner says "it heats up then turns off", I ran memtest for 2 passes, it heated up but did not shut off, I have been running Seagate tools HDD test, I had chosen the "short" test and almost immediate it is showed in red "Short DST - FAIL" but the Test Status bar is still green like it's doing something and this has been running for an hour or so now, any ideas please?

Edited by hamluis, 02 April 2015 - 12:29 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Javrak

Javrak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:19 PM

A failing hard drive can actually add heat to a system, but not enough really to overheat the machine, you've cleared the cpu fan of debris with compressed air? (make sure when you do this not to let the fan spin at too high RPM, short bursts with compressed air)  Made sure the fan is actually spinning? Short DST = Short drive self test. Definitely recommend replacing it.

As for the CPU potentially overheating, if the fan is spinning and it's clear of debris around the heatsink, I'd say get a new hard drive in there, and if you are using windows, I'd use the free burn-in tool to stress the machine some and see if it's overheating, can use hwmonitor from cpu-id to check temps. Likely the machine was blue screening if I had to wager.

Someone else may come along and have more/better info than me.

Edited by Javrak, 01 April 2015 - 04:20 PM.

#3 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:32 PM

Well, the unit was heating up only when running the memtest but after I aborted the test the unit went back to being cool, I just blew out the fan area with compressed air but the fan was running all this time so I what should I proceed to do next please?

#4 Javrak

Javrak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:24 AM

Try running memtest again, if you can boot into a windows environment, I'd suggest running hwmonitor to see what component is getting too hot, if it truly is the CPU, reapplication of thermal paste to the CPU so it makes a solid connection to the heat-sink could solve the issue. If the machine is overclocked, obviously down-clocking it can help, if it's not overclocked down-clocking it can still help.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:06 AM

Javrak gave you some excellent suggestions above.

Seagate tools: try running the long test (as opposed to the short test) for HD integrity verification. If you are getting any failure notices from Sea Tools, better replace the HDD pronto or risk losing your data. Running the test over and over for an hour will not help, a single pass will give all the information you need.

HDD: the hard disk is not causing an overheating problem. By running it constantly for long periods the HDD itself may overheat, but that won't cause the entire unit to overheat. Your problem is elsewhere.

You need to verify exactly what temps the unit is running at, otherwise you are just guessing. How do you know it's overheating? As Javrak said above, use a (free) temperature monitoring device to get verified temps. Here is another I keep on my flash drive "toolbox": leave it open in your system tray and check the temps occasionally as you use the laptop to get accurate temp readings.

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Please post back with results.

Note that if your client is trying to game with this unit, it really is not intended for stress-applications. This is a little e-mail and web-surfing unit, not intended for extreme applications.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

Alright, I have installed hwmonitor, what should I do next please to stress the laptop? The owner doesn't have any info which needs to be saved.

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:29 PM

I have been running youtube videos for a few hours now CPU's 1 and 2 temps have been showing 67degrees, load 29%, memory 55%, HDD Temp 37 degrees. I opened the bottom cover and tried to feel around for anything that's hot, only thing I found was the long copper rod which goes from over the CPU to  the back of the fan, any ideas?

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr298/mikehende/20150402_160313_zpsxrcslvjc.jpg

#8 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:44 PM

Oh, the "long generic" test failed too.

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,492 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:17 PM

Oh, the "long generic" test failed too

Your temps are fine. Your hard drive should be replaced if it has failed the Seagate short and long test.  You said that you checked the memory with Memtest and it passed, so that is not the problem. I suspect that the problem is that your HDD is failing and crashing the computer, not overheating. HDDs in laptops are easy to replace, but you will want to get the owner's data off that HDD immediately.

> If you do not have DVD restore disks that came with the computer, you will have a problem installing a new operating system. You may be able to contact Dell and get the OS and drivers for that computer for a fee.

> Hopefully the owner of the unit has been making image backups so that you can restore back on to the new hard drive.

> If he has no backups, the next thing you can do is use Macrium Reflect (free) to create an exact image of the present HDD and then restore in onto the new HDD. This will restore the Operating System, all data and all motherboard and peripheral drivers and you are back up and running.

Post back if any questions.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:29 PM

This is a vista system, the owner got it with win7 and no product key, if I reload win7 on anew drive she will need to purchase a win7 license and a new HDD plus pay for the install, this will be very expensive for her.

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,492 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

the owner got it with win7 and no product key

If she has been running it for several months at least with Windows 7 and no shut-downs or problems, chances are there is a key installed and she doesn't know it. If you image that entire drive and restore on a new one you should not need to reset a key number, it is already on there. Just make sure that the new drive is equal or larger in size than the old one; the only problem I had once was attempting to restore an imaged partition to a smaller hard drive.

if I reload win7

You are not reloading or reinstalling, you are restoring an image; IOW, you are creating an exact duplicate of her existing hard drive on the new drive. Windows doesn't know the difference. The only problem you might have is if you attempt to install that new hard drive with Windows on another computer, or replace the motherboard on the existing comptuer. Then Windows will flag you.

Edited by ranchhand_, 02 April 2015 - 09:19 PM.

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:47 AM

I told the owner if she has to spend anywhere close to $200 on this old machine she's better off purchasing a new one which runs just over $300 but I appreciate the help in diagnosing, thanks!

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:07 PM

The existing key can be obtained easily from a working system.  Write it down and use it, if necessary.

KeyFinder Magical Jelly Bean - http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Louis

#14 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,452 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:39 PM

Thanks but I had tried that before with another machine last year and it did not produce the key.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,596 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:05 PM

Have you tried Produkey?

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users