Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Long boot time

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cowsinspace

cowsinspace

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:41 PM

I have had some issues with boot times. Ive looked for any malware/virus that may be the issues but its not. Ive killed all the startup jazz. is there anything else I can do? I remember using bootvis on windows xp but i havent found anything that works as well as bootvis did.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Javrak

Javrak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:10 PM

Hmm, is the machine slow when first opening other applications as well? Have you tested the hard drive? Seatools is pretty good for testing to see if your hard drive is having issues. If it tests out ok, how long has it been since you defragged the hard drive? Is the hard drive near maximum capacity? Check your motherboard for blown/bloated capacitors. Run memtest86 to test your RAM for issues. If you are sure it's not a software related issue, then obviously my guess is something is amiss with your hardware.

#3 cowsinspace

cowsinspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:13 PM

My harddrive is almost full...does that effect boot times?

#4 Javrak

Javrak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:20 AM

If a hard drive becomes completely full you can run into issues, and it can take longer to retrieve data yes. I would also test it to make sure it's not starting to die on you as well.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:16 PM

The Windows partition...is the only partition on a hard drive...that is affected by being full.  Windows needs at least 15% of the C: partition to be free space on the partition in order for Windows to run as it should.

If a drive has nothing but the Windows partition using all the hard drive space...then the partition/drive spacing becomes an issue.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 April 2015 - 12:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users