Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'apt-get upgrade' vs synaptic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:56 PM

you know, I merrily did an upgrade with synaptic and the little icon by the clock showed that all was well. for some reason I decided to run apt-get update apt-get upgrade and more files upraded. why??

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 495 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 04:15 PM

Is apt-get looking at more repositories than synaptic?  Just because synaptic uses apt as a backend, doesn't mean the configuration is the same.

Sometimes, upgrading causes other upgrades.  Think Windows :)

Edited by mremski, 01 April 2015 - 04:15 PM.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#3 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:48 AM

you know, I merrily did an upgrade with synaptic and the little icon by the clock showed that all was well. for some reason I decided to run apt-get update apt-get upgrade and more files upraded. why??

What was the package, mate?

:wizardball: Wiz

#4 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:32 AM

don't know. whatever needed to be upgraded. if I remember correctly it had to do with some google products as well as others.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:01 AM

whatever needed to be upgraded

So what was your prompt for going into Synaptic? Was it apparent through eg Update Manager, or some other mechanism? Not the Spanish Inquisition here, just trying to establish a path and process.

#6 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 11:05 AM

The little 'update manager' icon in the task bar indicated I needed to upgrade. I guess I just got lucky and the packages were upgraded in between the time I upgraded with synaptic and the time I did so with apt-get.

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2015 - 04:09 PM

Reason I was probing was because I had a similar situation a week or so ago. In my case I use a shell script called update to perform the apt-get update apt-get upgrade functions. Didn't note the details at the time.

Perhaps mremski's is the best answer for now.

#8 bmike1

bmike1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:56 PM

you know wiz, you might want to make your script print the output of update/upgrade to a file in case something like this happens again and you need to see what it did. You do this by typing:

sudo apt-get update > file

sudo apt-get upgrade >> file

If you want it to print any errors that may have scrolled by to the file you'll have to pre-pend the carrots with '&2' to make it look like this:

sudo apt-get update &2> file

and 

sudo apt-get upgrade &2>> file

I'm pretty sure that is how it is done at least. I wouldn't worry about making 'file' unique for each time you run it as you'll never look at it unless there is a problem. If you really want to do that:

sudo apt-get update | tee $(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S")-file

sudo apt-get upgrade | tee -a $(date +"%Y%m%d%H%M%S")-file

(the tee command allows you to see the output of apt-get)

a little warning though, if you run your script and update is run at 2359 and uprade is run at 2400 you will get two separate log files (what are the chances of that?).

Like I said.... I think this is how it is done. (the tee suggestion comes from my LUG who I asked if I was correct before I post anything to you)(I was also unsure about inserting date and time

Edited by bmike1, 07 April 2015 - 12:36 AM.

#9 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:38 AM

Sweet, bmike1 - ta for the tips. I love the bit about 2359 cf 2400. Won't happen unless I automate it, I am an old bugger who's in bed by 9PM.

I enjoy scripting and have to get back to it soon. 20 years ago under Windows, I used to enjoy creating batch files.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users