Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't find touch pad settings in Control Panel/Mouse settings anywhere?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 loki2007

loki2007

• Members
  • 551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:37 AM

Hi,

Looking for advice on how to find where the touch pad settings may be hidden on this laptop I'm working on? I've looked in the control panel and there is no icon for touch pad and I've looked in the mouse settings without finding any options to change the settings for the touch pad? The laptop is an acer Aspire 5520-5912 running Vista Home Premium Service pack 2. Any ideas?

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:13 AM

Hi loki2007 :)

Usually, Windows install it's own Microsoft Legacy Drivers for a touchpad on a laptop, and these drivers doesn't enable the "Advanced" settings that allows you to control the touchpad. In order to do that, you have to install the laptop touchpad drivers which will add that tab in the Mouse options.

Download and install these drivers:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/TouchPad/Touchpad_Synaptics_9.1.16_Vistax86.zip?acerid=633639058794305220&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE%205520&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_4

Let me know if they install or not.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 loki2007

loki2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 551 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:09 PM

Drivers did install and it displayed the touchpad icon in the notification area but I still have no ability to change any of the touchpad settings when I go into properties? It just displays options for the USB mouse I have plugged in.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:11 PM

Do you go in the Control Panel, followed by Mouse? If so, there should be a new tab with the Synaptics icon on it called Touchpad or Advanced.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

Synaptics also creates an entry in Control Panel.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 01 April 2015 - 01:32 PM.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:35 PM

Ah true, thanks Queen-Evie. If you want to see that entry in the Control Panel easily, change the Display to Big icons or Small icons and not Category. Then it should show up.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 loki2007

loki2007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 551 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:09 PM

Thanks to both of you! I'm not currently working on that computer now but I will check later and report back.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:29 PM

Hi loki, did you ever solve this issue or do you still need assistance?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users