Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Flash WriteProtect

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 myyas

myyas

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:13 AM

Suddenly, my PC "WriteProtect" any & every USB Flash or external HardDisk I plug into it.

I've Googled the problem & tried the only 2 solutions I found. None worked.

- regedit : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

- CMD : diskpart, list disk, etc.

Some of the flashes I tried would work fine on other PCs ie: not write protected!!!

If I plug them again into my PC, they become "WriteProtect"!!!

My OS is Windows 8.1

Please help. Thank you.

mYYas

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:20 AM

"Some of the flashes I tried would work fine on other PCs" Does this mean that you also have some USB flash drives that do not work on other PC's

If you do not have any data that needs recovering from the flash drives do a low level format (zero wipe) and then reformat the flash drive. Do this to one of your smaller flash drives first and one that does not have data on it. Make sure you select your flash drive and not your system drive because using this tool makes recovery impossible.

http://hddguru.com/software/HDD-LLF-Low-Level-Format-Tool/

#3 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:34 AM

Hello myyas,

First of all - have you tried ALL of your external hard and flash drives on other PCs ? Have you check  if any of them have a write protect switch? I see that you have tried most of the possible solutions already so I need more details in order to help. When you plug in an external HDD can you make a screenshot of Disk Management? 

In some cases of HDD failure the only symptom that appears is a "write protected" message.

You can also try to find a tool that may help you with the problem. There are free tools to remove write-protection from usb drives and format them. Just make sure you back up all of your important data first, just in case.

And lastly - do you have any third party encrypting software on your computer?

Here is a link with a similar problem discussion.

Waiting for your answer, best regards, Citizen_WD

#4 myyas

myyas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:12 PM

JohnC_21, thank you for replying.

I have 2 flash drives of my own (SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 64GB). One of them (the older one) is "WriteProtect" on all PCs. The other one (I just purchased) is "WriteProtect" on my PC & "not" on other PCs. I've tried some of my friends' flash drives (before I purchesed my new flash drive); 3 flash drives were "writeProtect" on my PC but "not" on other PCs, 2 flash drives became "WriteProtect" when I plug them to my PC and stayed "WriteProtect" on other PCs (they were damaged like my first flash drive).

I've installed a HDD Low Level Format Tool (HDDGURU.COM) and performed a LLF on my first (damaged) flash drive. Nothing changed! The files are still on the flash drive, & still "WriteProtect"! Did not format.

Many entries on the programs window:

First one: "Format Error occurred at offset 0:   1117 - Device I/O error"

Last one: "Format Error occurred at offset 61,882,695,680:   1117 - Device I/O error"

Thnks JohnC_21 for your help.

#5 myyas

myyas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:28 PM

Citizen_WD, thank you for replying.

I've tried several external hard and flash drives on other PCs. None of them has a Write Protect switch.

I don't know how to attach an image ( a screenshot of Disk Management ) with my post! Couldn't find an "upload" button!

I don't have any third party encrypting software on mu computer.

Thank you Citizen_WD for your help.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:02 PM

I do not know about the other flash drives but write protection on Sandisk flash drives are a common problem. The firmware it written so if the drive detects a fault it automatically becomes Write-protected and the drive is essentially toast.  Return the one that fails on both PC's if under warranty.

http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/HOW-TO-REMOVE-WRITE-PROTECTION-FROM-USB-FLASH-DRIVE/td-p/283430

For the drives that are write protected only on your pc  from my searching it seems to be a common problem on Windows 8.1.  See this guide on editing the registry to solve the problem. Try Fix2 first.

If the above does not work use the  low level format utility on the flash drive that is detected on the other computer and then format it on your Windows 8.1 computer. Of course, back up any data on the flash drive before you do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users