Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer L3600 Not Working/Booting

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Kiark

Kiark

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:36 PM

A friend of mine has asked me to take a look at his Acer L3600 (a small compact computer). The current problem is that the fans power on, but nothing else seems to be working.

Here's a small list of problems that I've discovered that don't seem normal:

• When you plug in the power (external power source that look like a laptop charger), the computer automatically powers on.
  • No HDD light appears to turn on.
  • I can't turn the power on/off via the power button on the front. As mentioned above, it just turns on automatically when it has power available.
  • CD drive doesn't "suck in" disc when putting one in.

What I've tried:

• Removing the RAM to see if the computer makes a beep noise (it doesn't).
  • Using different screens/cords to see if it was an external problem with the computer.
  • Changed HDD and SATA cable to see maybe if the HDD was the problem.

After all this I disconnected the fans and turned the computer on. Nothing seemed to be working. The CPU wouldn't run hot, the HDD didn't sound like it was spinning.

Does this indicate a motherboard problem, power supply problem, or something else?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kiark

Kiark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:29 AM

Still looking for an answer!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:02 PM

You might consult Acer Service Manual for ideas.

Troubleshooting with a desktop is easy...you can swap suspected hardware items in and out to test any suspicions.  Troubleshooting these hybrids and laptops is not easy at all, IMO.

Louis

#4 Kiark

Kiark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:39 PM

You might consult Acer Service Manual for ideas.

Troubleshooting with a desktop is easy...you can swap suspected hardware items in and out to test any suspicions.  Troubleshooting these hybrids and laptops is not easy at all, IMO.

Louis

Thanks for the link. Looked through the manual but couldn't find anything to fix my problem. I tried to clear the CMOS following their instructions but to no success.

You're right about that. I initially thought I was going to be troubleshooting a desktop. How wrong I was :(

If anyone else has had a similar problem, please let me know!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:16 PM

Try powercycling the computer. Remove the powercord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and see if the computer boots fully.  It could be a power supply issue also.  Do you have a multimeter available to check the voltage coming from the power supply? Could possibly be a motherboard issue.

#6 Kiark

Kiark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:33 PM

Try powercycling the computer. Remove the powercord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and see if the computer boots fully.  It could be a power supply issue also.  Do you have a multimeter available to check the voltage coming from the power supply? Could possibly be a motherboard issue.

Thanks for the reply. I've already tried that, but I just tried it again now. Nothing seems to happen. Like I said in the OP the fans automatically turns on when you plug in the power supply. I don't think the power button is even doing anything.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:46 PM

If the computer has more than one RAM module, install only one. Try to boot. If nothing happens change the module to the other slot. If that does nothing substitute the other module and place that in each slot trying to boot after each move. Try booting without the mouse or keyboard attached.

#8 Kiark

Kiark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:05 PM

If the computer has more than one RAM module, install only one. Try to boot. If nothing happens change the module to the other slot. If that does nothing substitute the other module and place that in each slot trying to boot after each move. Try booting without the mouse or keyboard attached.

Just tried that. Still nothing. Fans still turn on, everything else seems to not turn on. Still can't figure out if it's a motherboard or power supply problem..

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:59 AM

The only other thing I can suggest is to pull the drive cables, HDD and optical, and see if you can access the BIOS screen.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 April 2015 - 08:00 AM.

#10 Kiark

Kiark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

The only other thing I can suggest is to pull the drive cables, HDD and optical, and see if you can access the BIOS screen.

Again, no luck with that either.

#11 Kiark

Kiark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:12 PM

From what we've gathered above, would you guys say it's a power supply issue, a motherboard issue, a different issue, or do we not have enough to make a conclusion?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:15 PM

I could not give you a positive answer. It could be any one of those. If you took it to a shop, they may be able to use a different PSU brick and see if it does the same thing. That would rule out your PSU. Then you are looking at maybe a RAM or MB issue. In the service manual is there any mention of a LED light on the MB?

#13 Kiark

Kiark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

In the manual linked by Hamluis above, it doesn't seem to show anything about a LED on the motherboard. The only mention of a LED is for the front panel (HDD LED).

EDIT - Here's the link: http://www.manualslib.com/manual/232859/Acer-Aspire-L3600.html?page=83#manual

I linked it to page 83 where it gives a list of connections ans such. Page 82 shows the motherboard and the corresponding numbers.

Edited by Kiark, 03 April 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:29 PM

The reason I mentioned it is some MB's have a diagnostic light. It seems this MB does not. I am not sure what else you can do. If data is needed off the drive you can remove it and attach it to another computer either internally or using a USB adapter.

#15 Kiark

Kiark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for all your help, JohnC! I'll have to get in contact with my friend and let him know what the situation is. I was really hoping the problem was something simple that I looked over.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users