Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My laptop is making a honking noise

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 SpiderGypsy

SpiderGypsy

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:33 PM

I'm at my wits end. I have a Inspiron Laptop with Windows 7 and have NEVER had problems with it. Well, all of a sudden (started around the first of Feb), I was downloading some songs from Amazon and when I tried to listen to them, I started getting this honking noise every now and then. I had Dell check over the system and they told me that it was a problem with my Internet provider (Comcast). Comcast has been out here repeatedly checking for problems and I finally got a tech who knew suggested I try changing speakers. I thought it was only happening (the honking noise) when I was online or streaming music, but he had me put a CD in it and sure as heck, there was the honking noise too. He thought it might be the speakers, so I plugged in some extra speakers I had and HONK there went the noise again. I'm at a loss as to what the problem could be.

Has anyone had this problem ? and if so, what was the cause and how did it get fixed ? I would really REALLY appreciate any suggestions and help. 

Thank you.

SpiderGypsy

Edited by hamluis, 04 April 2015 - 07:42 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:44 PM

It sounds like someone (or some application) has been messing with your machine and they have changed the Windows notification sound to a honk. This is something I have done to unsuspecting friends.

How to change your Windows sounds

or

Is this noise is only when you play media? Do you have any DRM software installed?

Edited by TsVk!, 31 March 2015 - 08:51 PM.

#3 SpiderGypsy

SpiderGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:08 PM

Thank you so much for that suggestion TsVk!. I went to the web page you put on and set it for Windows Default. I'm sorry, but I don't know what DRM software is. Could you tell me please ? In the mean time I will check a CD and see if the sound still happens. I will let you know if that fixes the problem.

Thanks again TsVk!

#4 SpiderGypsy

SpiderGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:12 PM

TsVk!, I checked it by playing a MP3 song and it buzzed right off the bat  :smash:  What a bummer !!   :lmao:  Next suggestion ?

#5 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:14 PM

DRM is "digital rights management". It's an application you install so you can play media that is supported by a particular protection system. Sometimes this type of software decides it starts to own all of your media and makes it unusable.

please run Minitoolbox and check the

* installed programs

* list devices > only problems

options. Copy and paste the log in your reply.

#6 SpiderGypsy

SpiderGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

TsVk! Well, I ran the Minitoolbox and I sure hope I can trust you.... There was a LOT of personal (name ect) info that I noticed came with that report. I tried to leave out any that I came across, but it was a LONG report. I'm NOT a programmer ! I was back when I was in my early 30's  :warrior:But I'm just turning 58 and have been VERY SICK with HEP C :alien2:   for the last 27 yrs. I just got done with the new HEP C meds (Harvoni is the name) 12 week course, and I am now HEP C FREE (yeah), but it's pretty much like taking Chemo, so I am still very sick until I can get my white blood cell count up and my Playlets too. But, I want you to know that I REALLY REALLY appreciate any and all help that you can do. :bowdown:
Thanks again.
SpiderGypsy  :spider

========================= Partitions: =====================================

Edited by SpiderGypsy, 01 April 2015 - 12:50 AM.

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:41 PM

What model is your computer please?

Edited by TsVk!, 31 March 2015 - 10:47 PM.

#8 SpiderGypsy

SpiderGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:05 PM

HI TsVk!

My system is :

Dell Inspiron N7110      Running Windows 7

Intel® Core ™ i3 - 2310 M CPU @ 2.10 GHz

Ram 4 GB

64 bit Op Sys

Hopefully that's all you need  :love4u:

Thanks again

SpiderGypsy

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:11 PM

Please download and install this driver from Dell. Restart will be required.

Does the problem persist?

#10 SpiderGypsy

SpiderGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:55 PM

Well, I downloaded the driver and ran it. Then I restarted the computer and checked to see if the noise still happened. Guess what, it made the buzzing noise  :smash:  Can I now smash my computer? I really LOVE this laptop and have tried to take care of it. I was really surprised to see all the errors on the minitoolbox thing you had me run.

Well, TsVk!, any other suggestions ? I really appreciate all his help tho. Take care. Sugar

#11 SpiderGypsy

SpiderGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:48 AM

TsVk! It's now 10:40 pm and I will only be up for another hour. Do me a favor, when you are done looking at the info that I sent you from the minitoolbox, PLEASE please DELETE ALL  the info about my computer. The last thing I need is someone trying to steel info from my computer or sending me virus or malware. I don't know if you can do that or if I would be the one to do it. Maybe, if it is me, you can tell me how.

Thanks again

SpiderGypsy  :spider

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:17 AM

That system info is very generic an cannot be used to harm you in any way, don't worry.

Ok, we have established it's not a system error or a driver malfunction... so it's software.

It's time to start un-installing/re-installing media stuff.

Please start by uninstalling:

swMSM

Adobe Flash Player 12 Plugin
Adobe Flash Player 16 ActiveX
Adobe Shockwave Player 12.0
CyberLink Power2Go
Sonic CinePlayer Decoder Pack

Then Update/install

Then check for Windows updates by clicking the start button > All Programs > Windows Updates > check for updates > install (if available).

Restart your machine and then play a disc with VLC player.

Does the problem persist?

#13 SpiderGypsy

SpiderGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:14 PM

I couldn't find 2 of the things that you wanted me to uninstall :

1) swMSM

2) Sonic CinePlayer Decoder Pack

I don't use Internet Explorer, I use Google Chrome. So, should I reinstall Internet Explorer ?

Also, it was suggested that I try wzro24.exe to speed up my system. Should I try it ?

I'm so sorry that it is so late too. I had to go to Seattle (1 hour Ferry ride each way) to see my Liver Dr. for a Blood Test. It really eats up the day.

If I reinstall Skype, will I lose "MY" stuff (contacts and such)?

And with Chrome, you don't use other Flash Players. So, should I still reinstall it ?

Please let me know, Ok ?

Thanks again TsVk!

SpiderGypsy

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:24 PM

Hi SpiderGypsy,

swMSM could have been removed with Shockwave, we'll get to the codec pack.

No, do not use wzro24.exe or ANY speed up tools on your system. They are all illegitimate at best. (and plain malware at worst)

Yes you should update IE even if you don't use it. Or even better completely disable it.

If you just install the newer version of Skype over the old one it will keep your system settings. But rest assured all your stuff like contacts are stored on Skype servers and not on your local machine.

If you can avoid re-installing flash, good for you... less vulnerabilities on your system. Don't re-install that either.

What application to you use to play media files? DVD's etc...

#15 SpiderGypsy

SpiderGypsy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 12:20 AM

Hi TsVk!

Wow, it's 10 pm here and I'm getting tired  :lmao: . Ya know, I've been trying all these things that you are suggesting and it dawned on me. Couldn't I do a "restore" back to when the buzzing noise wasn't on my laptop ? Just a thought... Anyway, Haven't done the install of Skype yet. There has been sooooo much other stuff that has tried to come along with some of the stuff you have asked me to try. Like, the VLC Player, It never came up to be a player or whatever it was supposed to do... I just got a "webbar" that tried to make me do a "driver restore" , which put "Weather Bug" on... It's been taken me all this time to get rid of all that crap... 

I had Internet Explorer 10, but I did disable that without any problems so far, but it did say after I restarted the computer that it had "Removed Personal Data". 

Right now I can't get my system to play a CD... I think it used to play a CD or DVD with Windows Media Player. Until I started all this removal and stuff, it used to come up as soon as you put a CD/DVD in, but now it's not doing anything...

I'm really thinking that a restore would be the best thing to do... What do you think ?

Thanks TsVk! U Rock when it comes to helping...

I'll be up for a while, right now I have to go rub some Aspercreme on my knees... But, I'll keep looking for your next post...

:love4u:  SpiderGypsy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users