Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google releases a teaser report of research being done on Ad Injectors

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,590 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:05 PM

Google posted a security blog article today about Google ad injectors and how they are bad for advertisers, bad for publishers, and even worse for the users who are infected by them.  As part of this report, Google disclosed that they have been conducting a study with researchers at University of California Berkeley and will be publishing a report on May 1st. As sample, they relased some information based on a sample of 100 million pageviews from users with Chrome, Internet Explorer, and FireFox:

• Ad injectors were detected on all operating systems (Mac and Windows), and web browsers (Chrome, Firefox, IE) that were included in our test.
  • More than 5% of people visiting Google sites have at least one ad injector installed. Within that group, half have at least two injectors installed and nearly one-third have at least four installed.
  • Thirty-four percent of Chrome extensions injecting ads were classified as outright malware.
  • Researchers found 192 deceptive Chrome extensions that affected 14 million users; these have since been disabled. Google now incorporates the techniques researchers used to catch these extensions to scan all new and updated extensions.

The full article can be read here: http://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2015/03/out-with-unwanted-ad-injectors.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:20 PM

Google fighting adwares, well that's something. (Scratch that I'm dumb) Maybe they'll include these techniques in their "Software Removal Tool" and make it more efficient, who knows.

Edited by Aura., 31 March 2015 - 07:50 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 07:49 PM

This explains why they decided to block all PUPs recently, I guess they saw how badly they were affected by all these AddOns and Plugins. :whistle:

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:39 PM

Take out the competition, save the browsers, dominate the realm, get even more incredibly filthy rich...

Good plan.

#5 Javrak

Javrak

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

Sounds win-win to me. Nice to see the numbers. Now for the malvertising...

Edited by Javrak, 01 April 2015 - 08:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users