Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compressed File Can't Open! Help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TheYoda

TheYoda

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 09:53 PM

Ok, so here's why I'm freakin out: I compressed a folder with some very, very, VERY important documents in it. I'm talking resumes, books I've written, and other important things that are near and dear to my heart. Now I know what your probably thinking, well you should of had a back-up. Well here's the thing, that is my backup. I erased my harddrive in hopes I can speed it up because it was crawling despite minimal boot and several defrags. My conclusion is, I burnt out the reading heads and it takes updates a few hours to do when normally it would take a few minutes. That's not my problem. My problem is I cannot open this file. Since i was backing up tons of data, I, stupid me, Overzipped it with, well overzip. Since overzip is a pain-in-the-@$$, I thought I'll just save the file as a .RAR extension under (*.*) All Files, when, in fact, I should of saved it under (*.oz) Overzip file. Now that it's a .rar file, Overzip treats it as such, not as an overzip file, and when it tries to extract it, I get a lovely, empty archive. I try to open it with WinRAR and it says it's corrupt. Stupid me doesn't compress the unimportant Halo/SWG screenshots that take up a lot of space, no, I compress the extremely important files with a program I'm not even familiar with...

Can anyone help my hopeless, desperate situation? PLEASE?!!?? *gets on knees* PLEASSE!!!!!!

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

Fold for your future...Help us find a cure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:53 PM

I don't know anything about overzip, but have you tried simply renaming the file from xxx.rar to xxx.oz?
Derfram
~~~~~~

#3 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2006 - 10:33 AM

:thumbsup: Well here's the thing, I'm not sure exactly how to. I tried just renaming the file and putting the extension at the end, but it just come out as xxxx.oz.rar. The problem is that Overzip saved the file with an overzip syntax. WinRAR cannot understand this syntax and sees it as corrupt. Overzip will not interpret the syntax because it has the .rar extension and treats it as such. If someone can help me rename this file, I will love you forever.

"A coward dies a thousand times before his death. The valiant never taste of death but once." -William Shakespeare

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 01 July 2006 - 11:10 AM

It looks like you just added the .oz extension without first removing the .rar extension.

Go to the file in question.
Right click on the file, and select Rename.
Remove the .rar extension and replace it with .oz so the file name looks like this:
xxx.oz

Then check to see if Overzip will open it.

Edited by tg1911, 01 July 2006 - 11:11 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:00 AM

For some reason my settings (I'm running Windows XP SP2, btw) don't show the file ext, just the name. I know on my father's computer it has the file ext shown. My computer just has the name. So when I did that, it's still theoretically, xxx.oz.rar. It doesn't give me the opportunity to remove the .rar ext. Is there an option or a program to change that? If so it would be absolutely God-sent.

Edited by TheYoda, 02 July 2006 - 10:03 AM.

#6 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:51 AM

For some reason my settings (I'm running Windows XP SP2, btw) don't show the file ext, just the name. I know on my father's computer it has the file ext shown. My computer just has the name. So when I did that, it's still theoretically, xxx.oz.rar. It doesn't give me the opportunity to remove the .rar ext. Is there an option or a program to change that? If so it would be absolutely God-sent.

Maybe what is shown in the pictue will help--

http://i5.tinypic.com/16h55jq.jpg

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#7 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 01:38 PM

Ok, I succesfully remaned the file extension and now Overzip recoginzes it...BUT!! It still exracts the file as an empty archive. I know my files are there...but I can't get to them. I made a copy of the file so if anything goes wrong, I can get another shot at it. I'm still stuck because I can't get to my files. We're making progress though, this is good. Anyone know how to work Overzip or have any other suggestions? Or am I hitting a dead end?

#8 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2006 - 04:55 PM

If you right click it & choose Properties,what does it tell you?

Does it have a size greater than zero?

From what I read in the first post,I gather it was originally compressed as a .rar file.

Try renaming it back to the original file name & use--

http://www.thefreesite.com/easyzip111.htm

to extract the files.

After installing Easyzip---

Create a new folder & drag the rar file into it.
Right click it & choose Extract to the folder it is already in.
Read the right click menu closely & you will see the option.

It might work.

Edited by medab1, 02 July 2006 - 05:05 PM.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#9 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:32 AM

Well, I'm in the middle of getting a new hard drive and talking to hitachi to make sure it's still under warrenty. If it is, I'm getting a new one, if not, i have to buy another one. Either way my computer is out of commission for a while. I'm using my laptop which does me fine (it's a brand new Thinkpad).

As for the empty archive, yes it comes up as 0 bytes.

Once my comp is back up and running, I'll try it. Thanks all for your help, I'll get back to you with the results.

#10 IllBill

IllBill

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:24 AM

Hello,

I'm sorry about your problem with an overzip file.
It seems that you have an old beta version of the prog.
You should download it from an authorized site.
Now the situation is the following:
OverZip compression does not support folders,
you can compress only a single file (e. g. a ZIP,
or your favorite RAR file).
When you choose to compress a folder,
overzip does nothing, but perhaps your version
does not show any warning.
So, you get zero-length archive that contains nothing.

I hope that your files were not physically erased.
There are some utilities that tries to recover deleted files.
Try to consult tech stuff that deals with your computer,
or let me know and I will give you the details.

Thus, the right using of OverZip is this:
Add your files to RAR archive with WinRAR
OverZip the RAR archive with OverZip to get more compression
(use OverZip 3.0 or higher).

Sincerely,
IllBill

#11 TheYoda

TheYoda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 25 July 2006 - 09:26 AM

medab1: I tryed Easyzip, I tryed WinRAR, I tryed numerous others, they all say the file is corrupt. I even tryed using an RAR repair tool, but still no good.

IllBill: I know you've been helping me through this and I appreciate it.

Everyone else: Thanks for you input, it's appreciated.

So, I got my new HDD and it works great, put all my files on it and it runs good, occasionally, it's unstable sometimes cause of overclocking, but it's great otherwise. At any rate, I've contact the devs at Overzip and I'm waiting for them to get back to me. I'll see what they tell me, until then, anyone have anymore suggestions? I'm really open to anything now.

*sings* Sitting on a park bench!! :thumbsup:

Edited by TheYoda, 25 July 2006 - 09:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users