Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buying A New PC, Please Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JobyKing

JobyKing

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a new PC, mainly for low end games like Football Manager and Civilization. I found this on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/FX-4170-Windows-Bulldozer-Graphics-pre-installed/dp/B00AU4LP0U/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

It seems good, but I've been told to check out the sellers as sometimes the pcs on Amazon cam be poorly made.

Do what do you guys think? Should I go for it? And if not do you have any suggestions or alternatives? My price range is around 500 to 650 euro. Cheers :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:48 AM

Other people might have different opinions, but that computer looks nice to me.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 JobyKing

JobyKing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:00 AM

Ya, it looks sweet to me too. I'd say I'll go for it, I just hope it doesn't blow up on me haha

#4 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:40 AM

The processor's speed is astronomical, buy it for sure

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:53 AM

Looks good have fun!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 03:32 AM

that PC has the r7 240 video card, which is around the same as a gt 640. those are nice because they offer manageable performance with low power requirements. that CPU would almost certainly need an aftermarket cpu cooler though. The AMD CPU cooling conigurations  are tricky, the modular coolers are almost always going to interfere with the RAM bank on your AM3+ motherboard.

a quick search revealed this model that is quite capable of keeping your CPU temperatures in a desireable range:

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/geminii-s524/

other things to investigate when buying a bundle deal like that is the actual enclosure case,power supply and motherboard. often times those details get omitted from the potential purchaser and can lead to frustration later on as the PC is getting used and less-than-savory details emerge.

examples given:

questions concerning the case:  is it well ventiulated and the fans effective with the right air flow scheme?? can you add more hard drives and optical drives?

power supply:  does it have the capacity to handle additional requirements later on? maybe a more demading video card or other add-ons and upgrades? is the wattage of the more desireable continuous sort, or the most common peak type? is the 12 volt amperage adequate? those are the biggest questions, most PC bundles are equipped with  less than desireable power supplies that lead to frustration and additional purchases later on, as well as the obscure problems they cause that are kind of difficult to diagnose

motherboard:   does it have UEFI BIOS as well as legacy mode?  what is the RAM upgrade potential and compatiblility? how many and what types of SATA ports are there? how many expansion slots for add-on cards like maybe a USB header or an audio card.

i always notice other members suggesting custom builds so the end user knows exactly what their PC consists of, but sometimes  a user just wants the "turnkey" solution (buy it, plug it in and play).  judging by what i see from the link, that price isn't bad at all for what you are getting.

i would deduce that both types of PC deals have thier good and bad attributes.

keep us posted and hopefully all goes well and you will be happy with your PC experience.

Edited by synergy513, 02 April 2015 - 04:29 AM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#7 JobyKing

JobyKing
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:49 AM

Thanks for the replys everyone, I've decided to order it and I should have it in around a week . I'll let ye know how it goes. Synergy513, are those cooling things relatively easy to install?

#8 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,058 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 02 April 2015 - 04:06 PM

A heatsink/fan (HSF) is relatively simple to install., there are a few do's and don'ts. for someone that has never done it before, there are copious quantities of youtube videos available on the web at least to get oriented.  You can also start a new topic in the Internal Hardware section here on BC allowing different contributors to offer advice and guidance. I would contribute myself due to the topic being one i have knowledge of from personal experience.

a cpu with a clock speed that high is going to be getting hot, almost certainly.  The stock AMD HSF are fine if you are just doing spreadsheets or data entry, but if that cpu is getting taxed consistently, the heat will keep rising and won't cool back down very efficiently with a stock HSF. Another possibility that happens is when a CPU does get above a certain threshold of temperature, it has internal safeguards to throttle down the clock speed, in turn slowing it down to a crawl. this is to be avoided as it may lead to adverse operating conditions later on.

after further reading of the consumer feedback on that PC model, it looks like the biggest complaint isn't excessive CPU heat, but the power supply not being very good and the r7 240 not being a performance example. it very well could be that the case and air flow scheme is moving air internally so well that the aftermarket HSF isn't high on the priority list.

Edited by synergy513, 02 April 2015 - 08:05 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users