Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows system images, many on one local disk?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:17 PM

I need to make several system images for a new laptop I plan on buying (likely tomorrow), and I wanted to ask whether the windows system imaging tool ( as referred to here http://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-make-system-image-backup,26542.html, here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4241/how-to-create-a-system-image-in-windows-7/?PageSpeed=noscript and here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/create-system-image-in-windows-7-8/ ) can be placed with many on one external disk or if they each need a separate drive?

In the past I have placed them on 64 Gb USB sticks because Sandisk used to make a good 64gigabyte USB which was formatted in such a way that when you plugged it in it registered as a "local disk" not a "removable disk". But sandisk changed the specifications of these drives slightly so they no longer register as the right sort of drive for windows system images to be made on them, Hence I'll need to get an external hard drive or three. Can multiple images of this type be made on a single external hard drive (or any other storage device calling itself a removable disk), or must it be "one storage device for one image"?
If I put three images onto one external storage device will window be able to use them when it is plugged in for recovery of this ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/system-image-recovery-in-windows-7-8/ ) type?

Also what about images made with macrium reflect?
Or with bundled recovery software which a manufacturer (HP or lenovo) might put on a laptop? Can images of those types be made "many to a single device"?
Do these types have the same "local disks not removable disks" requirement which windows system images have?

I could really use knowing this so I can work out how many external hard-drives/high capacity USB drives I will need to buy tomorrow.

Also helpful to know would be the approximate size of these different image types. When I've used windows system imaging tool on my current machine it came out as about 59 gigabytes for the "system reserved partition", and the "C drive" (I keep all my windows system files and installed programs under C:\ on my current machine with my personal files under D:\) but I don't know whether the average brand new laptop will be larger or smaller than this for windows system images, or how macrium and manufacturer's system images compare to windows' images in size.

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 31 March 2015 - 05:21 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:57 AM

Any thoughts?
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users