Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linus Torvalds To Join Microsoft To Head Windows 10 Project

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:15 PM

This is breaking bad. This is big. Linus Torvalds, the creator of Linux, and a champion of free and open source software has finally call it a day and has agreed to join Microsoft as the project head of the upcoming Windows 10 project. According to Bloomberg, Linus will be working on a new Kernel design for Microsoft that will make, usually vulnerable, Windows OS virtually impossible to be infected by viruses and malware.

9ihahv.png

Windows 10 is the most ambitious program of Microsoft till date as it aims to revolutionize the computing experience like never before. Apart from no viruses, it will also not have the blue screen of death anymore. The OS will run smoothly on any PC, Tablet or Smartphone providing a unified experience on all devices. Windows 10 will boot very quickly (in 9 seconds) and will not slow down after one month of use. It will also not have tons of temporary files and user will face no registry problem at all.

The news of Linus joining Microsoft has outraged the hardcore Linux users. Forums and Google Plus are flooded with reactions from angry users who felt like cheated on this news. Billy Soft, who started using Ubuntu 2 weeks back, when his Windows 8.1 crashed, was almost in tears. “Man! I hate Windows”, said Billy, “I was making fun of my friends the other day for they are still using Windows. Windows is for grandpa, Linux is hip and cool. It makes you feel like a Geek. But now my friend just poked me asking if I’ll revert to Windows after 25 years.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:24 PM

According to Bloomberg, Linus will be working on a new Kernel design for Microsoft that will make, usually vulnerable, Windows OS virtually impossible to be infected by viruses and malware.

Nothing is absolute :blink: Don't know if Microsoft said that or Bloomberg made it look that way?

Oh well. Good luck with that, Mr. Torvalds.

Regards from a Windows 7 user

Edit: Just realized what day is it... :hysterical:

Edited by Alexstrasza, 31 March 2015 - 04:30 PM.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

Oh God this looks like fun. I'll be monitoring /g/ for the whole evening and night to see threads coming up about this. I'll post the funniest (and most insightful too) ones here.

Good luck :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 kitsune

kitsune

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:28 PM

Is it April Fools' Day already?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:56 PM

Hmmm...forgot about that :).

Louis

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:20 PM

The same thing was reported 2 years ago to the day... must be a conspiracy. :lmao:

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:31 PM

Don't know which time zone you are in NickAu, but it was still the 31st of march for me when you made that post. And on the subject of timezones I think bloomberg is a US based site isn't it, meaing it is still late evening of the 31st for them now.

Certainly a surprising development, looks like every assumption people made about operating systems might be about to be turned upside down.

This certainly looks like microsoft is trying something radically new, whether it will be for the good or ill of the consumer remains to be seen.

One suggestion I can see that would make this an april fool is the contradictory time periods mentioned in the paragrpah about "Billy Soft",
??? 2weeks=25years ???

Edited by rp88, 31 March 2015 - 06:34 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:40 PM

This certainly looks like microsoft is trying something radically new....

Like pretending that Torvolds would ever work for them for any amount of money? :lmao:

#9 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

Don't know which time zone you are in NickAu, but it was still the 31st of march for me

Same here. If I hadn't scrolled down to read the comments I'd have walked away believing it. :P

#10 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,679 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 07:30 AM

I think you got some facts mixed up Nick. :wink: It's not Linus joining Microsoft, it's MS developing their own brand of Linux:

http://itsfoss.com/microsoft-announces-linux-os
:lol:
If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 yu gnomi

yu gnomi

• Members
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:16 AM

Meanwhile, back at the ranch... MS has been busy re-vamping their approach to mobile devices, by going back to basics http://www.neowin.net/news/microsofts-new-operating-system-reinvents-ms-dos-for-mobile

They sure have been busy recently.

#12 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,957 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2015 - 06:46 PM

You mean MS have re-invented texting ?  You mean we  might get colour next ?  I can't wait !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users